Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New Hensim 70cc!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Thanks for the quick response. I did just find out that apparently you have to hold the brake handle down when you try to start them...some kind of safety feature on a kids quad. I have had 4 quads myself and have never heard of this...whats more is, you would think that they might put this in the manual somewhere. I will have to wait till I get home to try it and see. I knew it would be something simple because both quads had the same issue and neither was damaged at all when received.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Yep, that's true. I forgot about the whole brake thing. You can use either the hand brake, or the foot brake. Also, make sure the tethered kill is not accidentally out.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Thanks guys this forum answered alot of my questions i have bought the 50 for my daughter for xmas and it would start easy enough but after a minute would run bad the hidden choke was the problem now to get them wheel spacers as she flipped it yesterday the ones listed on here the guy dosent have listed sent him a message hopefully he has some more to put up and has anuone figured how to slow these things down i adjusted the throttle limiter but they still get going pretty darn fast thanks for any help

Old 01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Hensim 70cc!

The throttle limiter is the only way that I have found. That choke is pretty well hidden and hard to get your hands in there to turn it off. Want a real eye opener, hold the rear end up off the ground and press the thumb throttle down.

One thing I noticed is the throttle cable will open or close the throttle as I turn the handle bars. I pushed and pulled on the cable yesterday, and the throttle went crazy. I now have to get in there and find where the cable meets the throttle and see what is wrong.

Lastly, the foot brake is useless. My son doesn't have the leg strength to push that thing down far enough to work. I noticed that it really has to be pushed down far. I tried to adjust the cable, but it seems that it is adjusted all the way out.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Originally posted by: themartinz
The throttle limiter is the only way that I have found. That choke is pretty well hidden and hard to get your hands in there to turn it off. Want a real eye opener, hold the rear end up off the ground and press the thumb throttle down.

One thing I noticed is the throttle cable will open or close the throttle as I turn the handle bars. I pushed and pulled on the cable yesterday, and the throttle went crazy. I now have to get in there and find where the cable meets the throttle and see what is wrong.

Lastly, the foot brake is useless. My son doesn't have the leg strength to push that thing down far enough to work. I noticed that it really has to be pushed down far. I tried to adjust the cable, but it seems that it is adjusted all the way out.
You can also limit the throttle by adjusting the throttle cable. Try that. That screw on the thumb throttle is useless for limiting top speed.

You have to make sure that the throttle cable is pulled up from the handlebar area to allow for some extra movement. I secured the cable with tiewraps so it wouldnt slide down behind the gas tank. That suprised the hell out of me when it took off when I was walking it out of the garage while turning the handlebars.

If you take a look at the foot brake, you'll see that its way off angle. You have to almost push it horizontal and down to get it to brake. I'm going to fool around with it and change the angle of the foot pedal. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

My son has been riding his Hensim since Christmas day, and it has done pretty good. No problems with starting, running, or stopping. The footbrake is pretty much useless, but my son has picked up on using the hand lever. The disk brake works really well, just need to figure out how to set up the foot brake. As stated earlier, the throttle limiter stinks. The only thing I was able to limit was how steep a hill it will climb. I have not played with the throttle cable to see if I can slow it down that way, but it is a good idea.

Everything else has been good so far. I really like having the remote kill switch, but the range is not that great. I would not put a kid on one of these without adding the wheel spacers. Way too tippy with the stock set up. I don't know about everyone else, but I do not need the choke to start this thing up. I played with the carb when I did the initial set up, and it seems to run great. Another thing I noticed is that the shocks appear to be ornamental - they do nothing with my 40lb son riding.

I was interested in removing the steering stops as Speedknot did, but after watching my son ride around I am happy with the poor turning radius. I think it really helps to keep him out of trouble. I will change the oil again this week, and put in a better spark plug before I have problems with this one. Overall I would recommend the Hensim, but only to a person that does not mind tinkering and running close to their kid when they are riding (at least staying in the remote kill switch range). I would look for a different unit if the kid that will be riding does not have any previous experience with other types of ride-ons (such as electric).

Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

I took my boys out for the weekend on them and all in all, they were pretty impressive. They start right up first thing in the morning with no choke (I also fiddled with the carb set up). I did notice that you have to make sure and check all of the bolts and screws, there is a lot of vibration and they loosen easily. It turned out that the throttle restricter was only limiting how fast they could take off and what kind of terrain they could ride on. With no restricter, they can handle some decent hills and some softer dirt/sand, if they are restricted, you will end up pushing them to get them moving once they stop.

My starting issue turned out to be 3 things:
1. Hold the brake handle (the foot brake does nothing)
2. The kill switch in the rear was adjusted out (too tight)
3. The ignition is wired wrong..what is supposed to be the "OFF" position is actually the only position that it will start in

I really can't complain....I paid less than 1k for 2 70cc quads and thats what I got.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Holy Cow! This thing IS fast!

I bought this 70ATV for my 6 year old daughter for Xmas, but couldn't get it running 'til now - thanks to your forum!

I tried to get a manual, help, something, anything from the company - but with no luck! Just a big blow off.
Turns out it was the break safety feature. But now that it's running I need to SLOW it down and fix the front end - the turning sucks!

I've been reading all of your post, and correct me if I'm wrong, that there isn't really a good way to control the speed and I have to buy wheel spacers???

Any tips would be appreciated!

Oh and lastly, I also have a 14 year old daughter. And I know as soon as she finds out what fun this is, she'll want something too. Can anyone recommend something for her - a beginner. But yet I can afford. Or am I wishing for something that doesn't exist?
Thanks
DR

Old 01-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Hey DR. Welcome. There isnt an easy, turn screw, way of limiting the speed. The restrictor on the throttle just limits your throttle response, not top speed. You could fool around with the adjustment on the throttle cable but it doesnt limit the speed too much. I speak for most of us here when I say you must get the wheel spacers. You will realize a huge difference in handling. Its a positive safety issue as well. There is a world of choices for your older kid. Besides my son's quad, I dont have experience with any other chinese quads. Maybe someone here could shed some light on it for you.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

I can see where the wheel spacer are a must - I've been riding "something" my whole life, and this thing can be difficult to control at times. Oh and I need a manual, it didn't come with one. Do you know where I can DL one? I heard they're not the best... but I'd still like to have one.

And yeap, I was right, my teen wants one too. I don't care what Make or Model she gets... I just need something that won't cause me to faint after looking at the price tag. And speed it not an issue. Don't want to call her a wimp... but, she is.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Quick Reply: New Hensim 70cc!