Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New Hensim 70cc!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hensim 70cc!

I had just purchased this ATV last week and have been in the process if setting everything up so its ready for my sons birthday. I am quite impressed for what I paid for it. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for but i'm still scratching my head wondering how they are able to produce and ship this for such a cheap price. For what Kawasaki and Suzuki wanted for an entry level I could have purchased a container full of these Chinese quads.

Setting it up properly is key for insuring safety and reliability. There were some issues that I had to overcome such as: Loose or stripped bolts, alignment of certain parts, crappy manuals. I know my way around a small engine and have a good deal of mechanical know how, so fixing these issues wasnt a problem, but I could see how there might be problems for someone who doesnt know what end of the hammer to use. The manuals are garbage and not specific to any one particular model. You're almost on your own. The manufacturer said that it had an automatic choke. Believing that, I had a hard time starting it and while troubleshooting it I finally stumbled across a manual choke. Another thing was the fuel cut off switch. The manual said nothing on how to operate it and there were only tiny markings on the fuel switch plate that didnt help much. It was stuff like that, that would trip someone up.

Once I got it started and warmed up I took it for a spin. I'm around 205lbs and this thing has no problem pulling me around. Its scary fast with me on it and I didnt even have it opened up all the way. I cant imaging my 50lb son on thing thing. Its gotta fly with him on it. Speaking of flying, there is a throttle limiter screw that can be adjusted. Dont be fooled tough. Its not a gov. on the carb. Its on the throttle so it more or less limits the off-the-line throttle response and somewhat limits the top speed a bit. It doesnt bring the speed down to 5mph like the advertisements say. I just installed the wheel extenders which brought the wheels out about 3" total per axle. Its much more stable now.

I will keep you posted when I get some more running time on the engine and get some good use out of it.

BTW, Im not saying this is the best out there or even comparable to Polaris quality. I would no doubt buy a Japanese ATV if I had the cash, but I dont exactly have those kinds of funds right now. But since I dont mind tinkering with this one it a little, it just fit the bill. These are kind of crappy but for a little over $350, I can dig it.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

I also recently purchased a Hensim 70cc, and I too am pleased with what you get for the money. I went through all the electrical connections, but I still need to locktite the bolts. After going over everything, it fired right up and it indeed is a peppy little machine. It came with a remote cutoff, but I have not tested the range yet.

What kind of wheel extenders did you use ?

Old 11-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Got them off ebay. Here is the link. Wheel spacers This guy is aces.
There is a tight fit between the original studs and the wholes on the rim. When you take off the wheels you will see that the studs arent exactly lined up perfectly either. Removing some of the wheels might give you a bit of a struggle but they will come off. When you install the wheel extenders you will see the same fit problem putting the wheels back on. You might have to be a little forceful but dont beat on it. The wheels will go on. I guess I dont have to tell you to locktite the extenders on. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Thanks. I was looking at those, and think I am going to go ahead a get some.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Good evening everyone. This is my first post here and hopefully I can get some much needed info.

I just bought 2 of the Hensim 70cc for my 2 girls for xmas. The 2 ATV's were delivered as follows:
One will not even turn over. The fuse in the back under the seat blows instantly. If you unplug the wiring going down to the left side of the engine,{I assume this is where the magneto is} the short goes away. The left rear tire was flat and won't hold air, The left rear fender area was bent down almost to the tire, Lights don't work at all, no title with ATV, and is very hard to push as opposed to the other ATV. The other ATV has issues as well, the lights don't work at all, the fuse is good. The engine does crank over. The rear tailight bulb socket was broken. Brakes did not work at all, had to bleed the brakes.

I own a Polaris, but there is no way I was going to spend that much for my girls to try it and see if you like it. Does anybody think I'm wrong in just asking for 2 new bikes or my money back? I really don't believe I should be wrenching on a new xmas present. My experience in mechanical work comes from an automobile dealership. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Donny

Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Donnyj,

That's too bad the quads arrived in the condition they did. Unfortunately this is what can happens when you purchase a Chinese quad. No matter what brand you would have purchased you would of had to wrench on it to put it together and to fine tune the carb. You unfortunately have a little more to work out.

Call the dealer to see if they will replace the units. If not see if they will replace the parts needed to repair the quads. I can bet you they have a no return policy though. If you used your credit card you are covered if it turns out the quads are stinkers. Have the charges credited back to your card and tell the dealer to come and pick up their quads. If they know you are in contact with your credit card company I bet they will help you the best they can to resolve all your issues.

Oh by the way, you are not wrong to have tried the Chinese quads, it is a place to start especially if you do not know if the kids will take to riding.

SB.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Thanks for the quick reply,
Yes I did purchase these with a credit card. I will contact my credit card company and talk about my options. I will at least give the seller a chance tomorrow to make things right. Seems like nice people when I talked to them when I was ordering. Hopefully this will work out. I really believe it is a good start for my girls. Safety features were a big selling point for me. I'm hoping I can get 3 or more years out of them and then I will be able to justify buying a name brand machine if they are still interested. Thanks again for your quick response. I will post my results after tomorrow.

Donny

Old 12-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

I would most definately return them. Mine arrived in very good condition. Sounds like you got at least one bad one. The one I received, both the rear tires needed to have the beads set, a couple stripped screws, and the key rubbed the plastic during shipping. I do have to adjust the brakes as they are really tight, but other than that it was in great condition. I changed the oil, put dilectric (sp?) grease in all the electrical connections, oiled the air filter, and it fired right up. I played with the carb adjustments and got it to run pretty good. I will tinker with it some more when I have a little time (I still need to locktite all the bolts).The tail light is super bright, but the headlights are not that great. Not a big deal to me.

Like you, I made the decision that I was not going to spend the money for a name brand until I know my son is really into riding. I got what I expected - an inexpensive quad with some flaws. Hopefully they will make things right for you.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Sorry the hear that Donny. Just from tinkering with this thing I found that the quality of the parts are so so but they are put together like crap. Dont forget about the hidden choke. Like I said before, they tell you its an automatic choke, but its not! It's located just behind the fuel shut off. Also, make sure the fuel shut off is in the right position. Dont overlook the small arrow on the lever. I had a problem getting mine to run right but after I took the choke off and adjusted the fuel switch to where is suppose to be it runs like a bat out of hell. Even with me on it it pulls like crazy. Plan on replacing the tether kill switch. Mine is a piece of crap. I had an extra one from my boat that was a perfect fit into the mounting hole. I also just knocked off the small steering stops on the steering asbly. This gives the unit a smaller turning radius without sacrificing too much safety. My son does have to be a little more careful not to flip it but he can manage it without a problem. You might notice too that the front suspension geometry is way off. Look what the wheels do when the shock is compressed. Its not suppose to do what it does. Ill live with it till he grows out of this one which wont be too long. These are P.O.S. ATV's but for what I paid and how long i'm going to have it for, I really dont care if I have to take a wrench to it every now and then. I wont be out much if I have to wheel it to the curb.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Hensim 70cc!

Well, this the latest. I talked to one of the mechanics at the place that sold the atv's to me. He decided that the stator, which is located on the left side of the engine is bad. It makes sense after he explained it to me. Dead short and if the stator is bad, according to him, that it would have a direct effect on the clutch which would explain why the atv does not move freely. They are going to send me a new stator, a new tire, the rear fender that is bent, a title that was missing, a new rear tailight assembly. As far as the lights not working on the other atv, I was told the lights will not work unless the atv is running. {Duh} I feel stupid now. I will put some gas in it and cross my fingers. I just figured the lights would work with just the key on. The atv with the bad stator, that is how that one works. The lights come on when the key is turned on and the switch is turned on. He said that is not how it should work and it makes even more sense that there is a problem with that stator. I was just comparing the two and that is why I could not figure out why the lights did not work on the other atv. They said 7 to 10 days for parts. Seemed like nice people to deal with so far. Lets hope everything works out before xmas morning.

I do have another question. The manual states 15-40 oil. Is this correct? It seems like it is common practice here to change the oil as soon as you get the bike. Any particular reason and any particular brand of oil recommended?
Thanks again
Donny

Quick Reply: New Hensim 70cc!