Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Redcat 70 ATV. I need help. brand new, no power

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat 70 ATV. I need help. brand new, no power

If you've already done all of that, and you should still have a warranty left, I would start the warranty route. Definitely sounds like a clutch issue. I would be on the phone to wherever you bought it from. If they won't help you, call Raceway.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the exact same issue going on with two FA-A70's aka ASUN's which apparently are sold under many different brands.

Here is a little info here on them.

I did try to adjust the clutch. On the right hand side there is a bolt where the nut going through it has a slot. It can be adjusted there. I tried it and it will nearly pull me over and I am 5'10" 225 lbs. Still I haven't had it back out to any dirt or sand to try it out again. (going the 28th) I'd really like to find a solution to this because otherwise these are some insanely nice quads and the lack of ability to climb even the smallest hill.

Please let me know what happens. Also where was your restrictor? I have not found one on mine.

I found this link to a manual for the Redcat 50 (PDF) and it shows where and how to adjust the clutch.

Nick

Old 12-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info.

the restrictor is a screw with a nut on it on the handlebar behind the throttle

Old 12-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok can someone verify that a Redcat 70cc fully automatic quad SHOULD pul just about anyone uphill?

I am lost. I either have:

a bad clutch,
not enough power, or
a piece of garbage

I rode a Manco 90cc and it will ride a wheelie uphill. This thing will not move uphill.
I am ready to return it tomorrow, but I would like to keep it. Please help. No one has told me what it should do, but I think it has to have decent power. Once it gets moving on level ground it is too fast for my daughter, but if she stops, she can not get moving again uphill.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by: mhilli
Ok can someone verify that a Redcat 70cc fully automatic quad SHOULD pul just about anyone uphill?

I am lost. I either have:

a bad clutch,
not enough power, or
a piece of garbage

I rode a Manco 90cc and it will ride a wheelie uphill. This thing will not move uphill.
I am ready to return it tomorrow, but I would like to keep it. Please help. No one has told me what it should do, but I think it has to have decent power. Once it gets moving on level ground it is too fast for my daughter, but if she stops, she can not get moving again uphill.
If you run a search here there are many who have the same issue you are having with your single speed quad or some like to call it fully auto. They will do fine on hard packed ground but when it comes to hills and sand the quads just do not perform well in these areas. The Manco 90cc is a two stroke with a CVT trans and can not be compared to your little four stroke single speed. If you can return the quad then do so. Either purchase the semi auto 3 speed or something with a CVT on it. There is really nothing you can do other than the clutch adjustment.

Sorry to hear the quad is not performing like it was intended.

Good Luck.

SB.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

are you saying that a 70cc chinese quad will not pull a 60 pound girl uphill?

i just need someone to answer that simple question. if i have a piece of junk, i will take it back. if there is something to adjust to make it run uphill for a 5 year old, i will keep it.

also that clutch adjustment boggles my mind. it does nothing except maybe diverts oil flow. there is nothing on the other side of the adjustment screw. i took the right cover off of the motor.

i am either missing a part inside there or diverting the oil IS the adjustment. or the clutch adjustment is a waste.

also, for someone that knows what they are talking about, can i adjust the shoes on the clutch to make it grab better? stretch the springs a little or something? i am reaching here because my daughter loves the atv and it is the right size.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

I've answered this once and for some reason you blew it off but the answer is the front sproket plane and simple I mean if the atv was geared and you tried to take off in 4'th gear it wouldn't work to good you may lose 5 even 10 mph on top speed but it will make a world of difference taking off and going up hills and in sand and if nothing else for 20 bucks its worth a try

Old 12-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

It's not that the engine is totally lacking in power it's the the way the quad is geared both internally and externally. When my daughter first started riding on her ttr90 we would leave it in second gear and let her ride. It had plenty of power even with an adult talking off on the bike in second gear. However, in third gear the bike would barely take off even on hard packed ground. Had to give it a little help by using your legs to get it going.

Your options have been given to you. trailridercamden has given you an excellent option to try. If you do not want to try using a different sprocket then return the quad. It could also be you just got a quad with a bad clutch. Take it back to the dealer, see what they think.

If it were me I wouldn't even bother. I would return the quad for something else. I just did this this weekend. I bought a pair of Bose speakers for my daughter's Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  and personally I thought they had terrible sound for the price. I had a pit in my stomach the whole time they were set up and we listened to them. I was so dissatisfied with the quality of sound, that I took them back and purchased a better pair. I'm sure this is probably where you are at with your quad. The manufacturer should have geared the quad the right way before they sent them out for retail sales. Or again you may have a defective clutch.

SB.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a thread on sprockets: Slowing a Sunl 70 with sprockets

SB.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info.

i have an update. i took the clutch apart and scuffed the shoes and even sprung the springs a little. it worked great but now the engine is cutting out. i have tried to adjust the carb with no success. i also have been told 4 different gaps for the plug. not sure what is correct.

it pulls me better now than before and the engine is running terrible. the guy i bought it from told me to run 93 octane and now i see everyone said regular on here.
not sure what my problem is now but i am ready to run it off a cliff

Quick Reply: Redcat 70 ATV. I need help. brand new, no power