Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

My review: 3 inch wheel spacers on Redcat 150

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My review: 3 inch wheel spacers on Redcat 150

My son opened up the 3 inch spacers that "Santa" brought him for Christmas. We put them on Christmas day, and went for an all day ride on the 27th. Here is my review.

We ordered two sets of 3 inch wheel spacers from Raceway and received them in about four days. Great service from Raceway. One word of advice: When you receive these, tighten up the wheel studs on the spacers before mounting them. I had a few that were loose. If you don't tighten these, you are asking for trouble. Also when mounting the spacers, use loctite on the wheel studs of the hub that will be holding the spacers on. Otherwise you will have to remove the wheels each time you ride to make sure they are tight. I love the peace of mind that comes from loctite. Mounted the wheels, looks GREAT! Should have done this a lot sooner. We went for our all day ride on Wednesday, and they were superb. It softened up the front suspension nicely. As most people know, the front suspensions on these are very stiff, even with the preload adjusted down all the way. Just so you know, my son is 14 yrs old, 5' 5" tall, and weighs about 112 lbs. It made it a little harder to steer at low speeds, but this was to be expected. It greatly reduced the bump steer he was having, and handled smoothly on rocky terrain. It allowed him to keep up with my Polaris on the rough trails for a change. Before, the bump steer was so bad, he couldn't go through with much speed. Also the stability has been greatly increased, you can take turns a little sharper and a little faster now without a back wheel breaking contact. This added 6 inches to the front and rear of the quad. It actually looks like a mid size quad now, and handles better than my old Yamaha. I am confident that when I eventually go to a name brand, slightly taller tire, the handling will be right where we want it.

My conclusion: Spacers are a must for the Redcat FX-150's. These are so far the best improvment that we have made. And here is a list of improvments that we have made:

Changed old bars which were way short to MSR's. Longer, look great, and improved steering.
Changed out original headlights to a set of Wal-Mart special fog lights. Brighter and look cool in blue.
Wheel spacers - see above
Changed plug to NGK
Changed grips. Stock ones are like concrete they are so hard.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

godIovetoride,
My son has the redcat 90 and he has a hard time gripping the handle bar and pulling back on the brake cause his hands aren't quite big enough any suggestions

Old 12-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

>>>>My son has the redcat 90 and he has a hard time gripping the handle bar and pulling back on the brake cause his hands aren't quite big enough any suggestions<<<<

I had the same problem with my youngest; I filed down the finger of the brake lever that pushes the piston to bring the lever closer to the bars, and shimmed the side that activates the brake switch. Go slow with the file, and check it repeatedly, as it is not reversable, but I can always get a new lever in a year or two after he grows.

-d3

Old 12-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Guys,
Great advice and great review. Keep it up. SEADAWG

Old 12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

i put soft grips on mine.

and i cut the lever with a disk grinder and welded it at better angle" closer to the bars" dont go to far or it will hit the bars before there is enough presure to stop the bike.

read my thred about mini quad mods. good list of crap to do.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Trailridercamden,

All of the advice given here about the brake levers will work, and are all great advice. As far as the bars, I would loosen up the bars and rotate them back some and see if that is enough. If that's not enough and there is a machine shop near your house, have them use their pipe bender to try and bend them back a little. Don't try to bend them yourself, the bend will pinch and make it weak. Aside from that start looking at some aftermarket bars, you might be able to find some with a greater angle of bend that will come back closer to you.