Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Why it's important to check out your control arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why it's important to check out your control arms

I was just doing a quick service on our Redcat FX-150 MKII and noticed something bad. Mind you that this quad is only six months old. The ball joint on the lower control arm had about 1/2" of play up and down in it. Upon further inspection the upper control arm ball joint on the same side was loose in the control arm. I have new control arms coming, but this is something to keep your eye on. After I took the lower arm off, I took the rubber dust cap off the ball joint and noticed the grease had broken down signifacantly and was brown from water and dirt.

Now for a mod that I am going to perform to help prevent this premature wear. I am going to drill the top of the ball joints and install grease zerks. And once a month I am going to take the dust boots off and reload all of the ball joints with fresh grease. You should be able to get grease zerks at your local hardware store that you can install in the hole that you drilled.

Just something to keep your eyes peeled for and a fix that will help the ball joints last longer. They should not fail this prematurely.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would say the worst part of these suspensions are the ball joints and tie rod ends. ALL of mine have play and no matter what I have done after I have repaired them it has always come back. I have been buying these Chinese quads for about 4yrs now and all of them have had this problem at one point or another. The metal used for the ball joints is soft and wears easily.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know of anyone who custom makes A-arms?