Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Christmas ATV's with stories

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas ATV's with stories

I wheeled my two in under the tree too for my 6 and 7 year old boys. I just knew I was gonna get busted because I had to go right in front of their window on the deck. And then I thought they were going to see the tracks in the grass where I rolled them around the house up from the basement. They were suprisingly calm when seeing them and the 4-wheelers seemed like just one of the several toys they inspected one by one. I think I was probably more excited than they were. I think I would have had a heart attack when I was that age if I got a 4-wheeler. But anyway, the 7 year old loves to ride now and the 6 year old is taking it slow, I think because I scared him too much trying to get him to be safe (for some reason he just bailed out and jumped off of his one time - good thing I had the remote shut off!)

Also, I got the same color to eliminate - I mean minimize - fighting.

So far I've been very pleased with the 4-wheelers, and it has become evident that I will have to get one of my own.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

I got 2 110's for my 4 kids to share for Christmas I got a larger-sized 110 and a mini 110. My kids are 8,6,4,2 rs old. I had to sneak out the back door to move the wheelers up into the front yard while they were opening other stuff. We saved the helmets for last. They opened the helmets and thought they were cool, they thought they were for bmx racing. Then I asked them to let the dogs outside, and when they opened the door, they all FREAKED out. It was awesome.

20 minutes later I was outside telling my 6 yr old that he had to steer it...it doesn't steer itself, lol.....Now, he is the nuttiest of all them. 4-wheel power sliding around corners, practically sitting on the gas tank with his thigh, and leaning hard. My 8 yr old daughter was scared as hell at first, real nervous. Now she is trying to jump(getting a 4 off the ground a couple inches). The 4 yr olds confidence has built a bit, however, he doesn't have the strength to pull the breaks yet, but is getting there. And the 2 yr old, well he LOVES riding with me or mommy, always yelling BUMPY,BUMPY, and laughing hysterically.I'll probably get one a year until everyone has their own.
My crazy 6 yr old is already talking about getting a 2 wheel dirt-bike.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

We have 4 Kids. The first 3 are girls. For my son's birthday, couple days after xmas, we bought a youth 110 quad to give to all 4 kids. We had been talking about it for months so the girls all knew it was coming but the boy, who turned 3, must have thought he was getting a small 4wheeler push toy. None of the kids had seen it ahead of time though.

The night of the birthday party we did the presents and cake, then we said there was one more gift downstairs in the 3 season room. He was all embarrased with the extra attention and my wife had to carry him into the room where the quad was. Once he did look at it he scrambled down and jumped on. Made some vroom sounds like a dragster at the line and was smiles from ear to ear. We took lots of pics of him and his sisters sitting on it. It was a lot of fun!

The best part of giving the quad was he woke up early the next morning and wanted to skip breakfast to go sit on his 4 wheeler. (Very cold here.) We let him go sit on it for a while, still in the cool part of the basement, and he was all smiles. I talked him into eating and changing out of his pjs then we went for a ride together. I started the girls on riding lessons and they've been doing great. Lots of snow this year has made for perfect training setting for beginners. My son enjoys just riding around with me and is looking forward to getting bigger when he can ride by himself.

The quad has ran perfect and we couldn't be happier with the purchase. The best part is the kids are learning responsibility and safety along with building confidence and having fun outdoors.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

banwartm-How fun!!!! What kind make/model ATV did you buy? What part of the country are you in that is really cold and snowy? Post some pictures!!!!!!

I use to live in North Dakota. I rode my ATV no matter how cold it was. I remember being out when it was 17 below (without windchill factor) and riding in the ditches (legal there). People were driving by looking at me like I was crazy!!! I didn't mind. I loved riding on the frozen lakes and ponds. What fun!!!!! I miss the snow!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Coffeepotbend-

Hi I live in NW Iowa. We've been above 0 for around 12 days this year and above 25 a handful of times. We ride with the kids if it gets above 0. Just had a good old fahioned blizzard here last week. -16 without the wind that was blowing 35mph. Kids had school all day, you know how it is if you lived in ND. You are right, you haven't lived until you ride an atv in the snow with -40 windchills. Were do you live now?

We bought an (China brand) Eagle 110 youth from a dealer in Dallas TX who shipped it freight to our driveway, unloaded it, and helped me get the box unbanded so I could inspect it for damage before he left. Old Dominion was the carrier and they were fantastic. Price was $430 delivered and I feel it is perfect for small kids that are learning the sport. I'll save the Honda or Polaris purchase until they are more seasoned and ready for the heavier bikes.

We also have an 86 Honda Fourtrax 300. We pull the tobogan sled with that around the homestead. The kids think that is the greatest. We have about four inches of ice/snow-pack on the driveway with a couple feet of powder in the yard. You should hear them squeal when I spin them around on the ice. The ditches are totally full and the snow groomer has been past a few times prepping the ditches for the hundreds of snowmobiles that go past here every winter. It isn't legal to ride an ATV on roads or in a ditch here, but I'm surrounded by open bean fields some pasture and a creekbed so no problem finding winter fun. The summer time we have a few places we can ride nearby from trails to water holes to sand pits so we are looking forward to that too!

I loved the picture of your kids getting their ATV, that was a great moment. I'll be posting a picture of my kids the morning after sitting on the quad in their PJs and maybe a vid of the kids riding in the front driveway in their snow suits.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

We're in Northwest Florida. I love the tobagan idea! Since we have no snow, I pull a lawn cart behind my ATV for the kids to ride in. The kind that goes behind a riding lawn mower ($99 from the hardware store.) I used that for trick or tricking on holloween!!!!! We hung glow sticks all over it so it could be seen easily. I hauled a lot of tired kids and had a lot of grateful moms who didn't have to carry their tired kids around!! There was one other neighbor who did the same thing. He hauled his kids, plus many others.

I know what you mean about the snow mobiles. In North Dakota they actually have miniature stop signs, and yield signs for the Snow mobile and ATV traffic!

I miss riding in the big fields.......There is less regulation and a lot more freedom up north for ATV riders!!!

I'm saving for name brand ATV's for the Kid's too. We have some National forests with ATV trails, but everyone has to have their own ATV, no double riders.
We want to do some camping and riding on them, as a family. This dream will come true eventually!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

whoops double post

Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

thought i would register and share my story.

xmas 2006 my girls were 5 and 7 and we bought 2 Sunl 110's(think they are really 90cc) and i put then together in the basement and charged batteries and all. then on xmas morning they opend all their gifts and stockings. we have a ceramic tree decoration that sits on top of the stero stand and i said hey whats that up there under that tree? they saw 2 packages and opened them to find keys and remotes. they both looked at us funny and were like why did we get keys? I said well you guys like to play with keys right....then my 7 year old hit a button on the remote and heard the alarm chirp....which was in the room directly bellow them. she jumped up and started running around screaming "wheres my car". she hit the button a few more times and ran to the basement door and yelled to her sister "come on they are down here". she got to the bottom of the stairs and saw one and jumped on it and was going crazy and my little one ran over there too...neither even noticing the other one. they were actually on my 5 year olds so i said to my 7 yr old hey thats not yours and she looked at me like are you teasing me or what. I said hit your remote again. she did and that was when they noticed the 2nd one. they were so excited.

a few times during the day my older one she would say I have to go check on my baby and run down stairs and sit on it for a while. I had not even started them or put gas in by that time cuz they were in the house. so later in the day I took them outside and filled them up and got them running and we went riding. my little one a tad to small to pull the brake so i drove her around. we cruised the neighborhood. they have only had them out a few times since. one stopped running. I worked on the carb and got it going again for a day then it all stopped again. havne't had much spare time to mess with them to get them going and now I think both batteries are shot. looks like I have spring projects!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Donny O.-We had a lot of problems getting our SUNL 110 started when we first got it, we killed the battery while doing so. We took ours back to the dealer, they adjusted the carb and we have not had problems since. In fact we even burned out the starter during the starting problem time The dealer replaced it for free, since he sold it with the carb not adjusted right. We did have to tighten the chain a few times the first month, while being broke in, it gets loose. Also, we keep ours on a trickle charger because the tiny batteries aren't to great (we have 3 batteries total for it, that way, one is always ready to go). Now, the little thing is as reliable as our Honda's, and it is a little spitfire to boot!!!!

Also, since Christmas, my Daughter's have rolled it, put it through deeper water, sloshed through alot of mud, crashed it into a tree, bushes, and the tire of our parked truck, and it was rear ended by a Honda Foreman 500 to boot! My husband has had to weld a few things back together. Through it all, it keeps running. You could say my girls aren't what you would call "delicate flowers". Also, luckily, my Kids have not got hurt...scared yes, hurt no. They wear helmets, boots, gloves, long pants and long sleeved shirts. By the way..... Their steering ability and throttle control have greatly improved....through trial and error!!!! LOL.....no accidents lately!!!

Also, I loved your story. thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!!!