Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

TRX90 Noisy Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX90 Noisy Engine

Hi, I have 2006 model TRX90 that has a very noisy top end. It is not the valve clearances as I have checked them. The bike starts on the button and produces good power. To me the noise sounds like the cam chain as it is very inconsistent. Some times quiteish somtimes very rattly. My question is has any one had this problem, or have an idea what it could be, I believe the tensioner is automatic and can not be adjusted. When it is loud it is very loud and is obviously not right as the bike normally sounds so smooth.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, engine is out and further investigation reveals it is the cam chain. According to the specs the tensioner is automatic but it does not seem to be working properly as the chain is slack. I can't believe the chain is worn so am sure the tensioner is at fault, any ideas ?

Old 01-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Sir,
Seeing that it is a '06 I would stop there. Unless you are an expert, take it to a pro and suck the price up. Honda makes a great machine, but they do break as well. It seems you bought the one that will be a rare statistic. But, having them for years, your problem could be deeper and cost you more in the long run if you don't look at it. Also, change the oil and see if you find any metal? SEADAWG

Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 AM
geo
Trailblazer

if you've gotten that far, you're doing good - no need to go to a dealer (besides, i'd be very surprised if they'd work on an engine out of machine). if you stroll in the back door of the dealer's shop, sometimes the service guys can offer some wisdom for free (and sometimes that's all it's worth).

you've probably figured it out by now, but there's a little screw in the outside end of the tensioner that allows you to retract the tensioner. if you turn it ccw it should retract all the way, making the chain slack. if you then let it go, it should snap back towards the chain to tension it. if it doesnt do this, the problem is with the tensioner - replace it. if it does do this then the chain has somehow become worn too quickly - either due to a faulty chain (very unlikely) or some anamoly in the valvetrain that's putting undue strain on the chain. check the camshaft bearings and chain guide. also very unusual possibilities. or maybe the thing just has 200 hours on it and actually needed a new chain.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Sir,
At least see if you have metal in the oil...good luck! SEADAWG