Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chinese quads are a decent start for atv noobs like me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese quads are a decent start for atv noobs like me...

Hi, I'm new to the site. I just moved out of the city last year into a nearby small town here in southern Manitoba, Canada. I was so surprised to see how many people out here love to ride ATVs, dirtbikes, snowmobiles etc... Living in the city, I never really knew anything about ATVs or even got a chance to drive one. However, a few years ago I got to try a honda trike at my friend's cabin and I really enjoyed it. So, this last fall I decided I wanted to get a quad for myself and my daughter (8 years old). Even for used, I simply didn't have enough cash to buy Japanese ATVs. So, for my daughter I found a nice 70cc mini atv with a Loncin motor sold by a local dealer (starminis.com) for just under $700. He has lots of parts and looks like he'll be in business for a while, so I think it was good to get it from him. I got on this mini quad and was so surprised that it can take me close to 60 km per hour (I'm only about 140 pounds). It has a one year warranty on the motor which is alright. The only problem I had is one of the nuts came loose and a bolt fell out. After coming to this site and I did a little research, I found out that I should locktite all the bolts, so that's what I did (prior to coming here I didn't even know what lockite was. lol). I am not only an off-road noobie, but I'm also a mechanical noob all-round (trust me I had to check on this site to even know what the air filters looked like. hehe).

I ended up finding a 3 month used 150cc chinese quad for myself for exactly $1000 Canadian funds. It was a great price and I really wanted to ride, so I accepted. The problem is that he isn't a dealer and he ordered the thing in a crate and put it together himself, so parts are going to be "fun" to find. The guy I got it from had put together many quads before and he was making all sorts of toys with engines in his big shop, so I think he knew what he was doing. lol. After researching on here and checking the engine on my quad, I at least found out that it is a GY6 engine and that parts are available somewhere at least. Again, I was surprised at the power this ATV has even though its only a 150cc. It has more power right off the start than the mini. It could climb steep hills from a dead stop no problem at all while the mini needs to be moving first to get up steeper slopes. However, it doesn't go much faster than the mini maxing out just under 70 km/hour. Overall, I'm pleased with this ATV except I've had a few loose nuts that I needed to locktite. The worst was when I was riding quite fast and then the bolt that held the muffler in place came loose. So, now I have put locktite on all the bolts and it seems to be good to go.

So, I'm pretty happy with the two chinese ATVs that I bought. Of course, I'm sure I'd like a used Honda better but I simply could not afford one, let alone two (Yeah, I'm still a university student). These quads are still super fun and have really got me into loving ATVing. Also, because they are less reliable, I HAVE to learn more about how these things work and it's actually pretty cool.

If anyone has any noob atv tips, I'm sure I can use them. I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing to maintain these things. I've been changing oil using Amsoil synthetic for 4-stroke engines (designed for wet clutch applications which I guess CVT is right?) The air filters are clean still, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be cleaning them with.

Later,

OffRoadNoob

Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Good job!!! I'm glad things worked out for you. For some people it does not work out buying the Chinesen quads. I'm glad you can enjoy the sport.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Doctorturbo! Yes, I'm sure loving ATVing - it's awesome!

"Quads are cheaper than drugs" lol. What kind of drugs are you taking that are so expensive or where do you find these cheap quads (non-chinese)? lol.

OffRoadNoob

Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just like any Chinese quad you MUST Locktite every nut and bolt. It will make life much easier and make for a pretty reliable quad once done. Thats the biggest problem with these quads is loose bolts. There is tons of mods for the GY6 motor to make it pretty powerful.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

Cool, well, I might look into those mods you are talking about. Those are some cool quads you got there, 2manytoys! The honda looks like an awesome machine. What I have is cool for now, but of course now I'm saving up for something like that. lol.

Later,

OffRoadNoob

Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

I would change the oil every 10 hours or so (even less hours if you are hard on the machine) and go with a quality oil. A synthetic or a HDEO (diesel synthetic) for ultimate performance. Just make sure you check the manual 1st on what is recommended but remember they are not gospel. Also make sure the air filters stay clean and oiled. The rest is not really preventative but the non "big 4 brand" quad we bought for the kids runs excellent and was a great choice.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Offroad,

It took me many years to be able to get my Honda. I love it! My Poolaris is a POS but still fun.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YEP 2 MANY NICE HONDA BUT I WAS CURIOUS DO YOU REALLY LET YOUR LITTLE KIDS RIDE WITH NO SHIRTS, SHORTS, SANDLES AND NO HELMET?
I WOULDA EXPECTED MORE, HMMM?
ITCH

Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums OffRoadNoob.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks landrew! Yes, I've been changing the oil very regularly. I changed the oil after the first five hours with the Loncin 70 and on the 150 as soon as I got it. Since then, I've changed it probably about every 10 hours like you said. The dealer who sold me the loncin said to only use Amsoil synthetic 4-stroke oil, so that's what I've been using in both of them. What do you use to clean the air filters and what type of oil is best to use after cleaining?

2manytoys, man I can't wait to get a something like that and I'm hoping I get it sooner than later. lol. That jetmoto 150 looks pretty nice - does that one have the GY6 engine as well? My 150 looks like a raptor copy...

Hehe, itch, I'm assuming that was just for the pictures. My 8 year old daughter is just learning and she's really had fun on the mini loncin. She has goggles, a full helmet and jeans on every time we go riding and she's only allowed to go with me for now. I set the throttle "safety" screw in, so she can only go about 1/4 throttle as well.

Freebird, thank you! I'm certainly glad to have found this site...

OffRoadNoob

Quick Reply: Chinese quads are a decent start for atv noobs like me...