Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

TRX90 vs GRIZZLY 125

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX90 vs GRIZZLY 125

I have narrowed down my two choices to an '06 Honda TRX90 or the Yamaha GRIZZLY 125.

They both cost right around the same and will be passed down thru all 4 kids so I need reliability. The Grizzly fits my 10 year old better and she likes the automatic, but it's hard to argue Honda reliability....what do you all think?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wowchad,

They are both excellent quads. I'd say let your daughter decide which one she would rather ride. Once she decides, make sure you agree with her choice then make the choice together. This is what I should have done when my daughter wanted a quad instead of a motorcycle. I did not listen to what she had to say on what she wanted to ride. I thought I knew best. She now rides on 4 wheels instead of 2.

Other things to think about.

What type of riding will you be doing trails or sand?

Which quad will perform better in the sand if that is the type of riding you will be doing?

Do you want a Utility or Sport quad?

Will you want to add aftermarket parts and are they available for the unit you choose?

I'm sure the list can go on and on just some things to think about.

Good Luck.

SB.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Sir,
I can say for my daughter, the Grizzly won hands down. Not due to its superiority, but easy of operation. The fact that she didn't have to worry about shifting and easy...it won. Also, it is some what bigger to grow into. I don't take the TRX-90 lightly, it is a well built stalion that I love...and, on the trails, I see the TRX about 9 to 1, but it was just easier for her age group....which was nine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good luck, you can't go ron either way! SEADAWG

Old 01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with Seadawg on the Grizzly 125 only for the fact that it has the automatic. Now having said that, I own a 06 TRX 90 that my 8 year old "autistic" son drives and he learned to shift that thing in no time. The area we ride is private and is a mixture of wooded trails and open, rolling hills and his 90 pulls his 75 pound body up and down the hills with no problems, mostly in third gear.

The only maintenance done on the machine in a year is oil changes and one chain adjustment. My son started out on the machine in second gear and drove it that way for about 3 days when he then learned to shift up. He has yet to master downshifting but is getting there.

My only complaint about the Honda? It's cold natured and takes a few minutes of slow driving to get her warmed up. After that, we let 'er rip!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

ddrumman2004,
I'm over 225lbs and 6'2" and rode a TRX on some rough trails for long periods...just to test it out. He handle me with no problems, so you don't have to sell me on the TRX...they rock. Sounds like your son has one hell of a dad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I agree with you, the only reason I went with the Grizzly only for ease of shifting...it is a good quad too. SEADAWG

Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

The Grizzily is a much bigger machine. If your daughter is a taller girl than it will work well. Otherwise, get her the TRX90. She should learn to shift anyway.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

I have rode it myself Seadawg. In fact, he rides me around on the back of his 90 and together we both weigh 255 and it pulls us around with no effort. Of course I have to remind him to downshift when we start lugging the engine.

I have rode the thing in the area we ride in and like you state, it pulls me up and down the hills with ease.

I could have bought him the Yamaha or any other make but I know the history of the Honda 90 engine and bought it on that reason alone. My second choice in an atv would be the Yamaha.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Sir,
No worries, both great machines and great for fun for the long haul. It is always a personal choice and that is just the way it is and will always be. Hey, what is this stuff about you both weighing 225lbs...you telling me something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] SEADAWG

Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think a 10 year old should be on a appropriate sized quad.

IMO:::TRX90!!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you all for your input.

I really wanted my daughter to learn to shift and put my foot down on buying a Honda...until Mom got involved [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

We went back again and looked at both of them, with Charlie-Rose sitting on them...the Grizzly wins [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As soon as Yamaha puts their rebate back on them and a dealer will let one go for $2500 (tax included) we'll be picking one up.

I have a son who races MX and if this were for him it'd be different but it will be passed down through three girls and the shift thing is a pretty big deal to them and Mom.

I'm no longer arguing this issue, Grizzly it is.

Another big thing for me is since we'd be getting an '06 either way it was the first year for Honda's new 90 and I always like to hold out on buying the new stuff. We may buy a TRX90 for my boy once the '08 are out and the '07's are being blown out the door.

Quick Reply: TRX90 vs GRIZZLY 125