Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New Roketa won't start.--SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Roketa won't start.

Just assembled a new Roketa 260cc discovery and rolled it off the pallet. It will not fire. It will crank and acts as though it is trying to start but as soon as I touch the throttle it behaves like it is not getting fuel or is flooding. Not sure which if either is the prob. I cranked it at intervals untill the battery went flat.
Fuel tank is about 1/4, tried the fuel valve in both the on and aux setting but nothing but a few soft pops. I backed out the screw at the bottom of the carb bowl and fuel is flowing to the bowl.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

1) pull the spark plug out but leave it connected.....rest the bottom metal part against the bare metal of the engine............does it have spark???

2) while the plug is out pour a small amount of fuel down the spark plug hole and insert the plug and quickly turn try to start it, what happened???

Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First off welcome to the site.

Second you need to do alot of reading in this forum. There is alot to do before you should even fire the quad up. Check what squeege said. There are also alot of safety switches and if all are not set right then you can turn it over till the cows come home. If you have some starting fluid this will help in getting it started so you can tune the carb. You will have to tune the carb. If you dont tune it right it will always give you trouble. Starting fluid is also the easiest way to troubleshoot if its electrical or fuel. Most times its fuel. Do you have the choke set? If you dont have starting fluid you can put some fuel in a spray bottle, take the airfilter off and sprits some fuel into the carb while starting. You should have the choke on while starting. Expecially starting for the first time.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks you for the speedy reply. I have the prob solved, it was fuel lock in the filter.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Reply to squeege and 2manytoys:
Thank you both for the replies, turns out I had an air bubble holding things up in the fuel filter. I opened the screw on the bottom of the carb bowl and fuel only ran out for a couple of seconds. I pulled the fuel line between the filter and carb and let fuel run for about 5 seconds and re-attached. It started right up after that. I only need now to find a proper screwdriver to adjust the idle speed, it is way too slow for my personality!
You are both pretty decent fella's in my book.

When working on our own crap, we tend to forget the simplest things!

Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey bkbaker, just wondering how you like your roketa? I am looking at buying one for my son.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haven't had out for a run yet. I put it together at my shop tuesday night, brought it home wednesday night, finished some small assembly thursday night and now friday and saturday we got sleet and freezing rain for 2 days solid so it is garage bound for the moment.
The quality seems fine though. Better than the old Kawasaki 185 I had in the late 80's.
Just for your reference, if you are missing lug nuts when you get it, 10mm's from a local bike shop work great.
And no I'm not a dealer, the shop I referred to earlier was a plumbing supply shop where I work.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Roketa won't start.--SOLVED

I have a roketa 200cc four stroke, it worked fine for a day or so, then the throttle was adjusted ever so slightly to get more idle. Once this was done, the bike would bog out when I would go too fast. After some more adjustements, I would still start the bike fine, but once it was warmed up, no matter what I did with the choke, the atv would die. Now, I can not start it at all. I try readjusting the idle, I start with choke fully open, half way, closed, etc. Nothing will work, now, I was reading about fuel/air mixture in another forum. I do not see where this is, next to my idle screw is a round silver tab, but this has no means in adjustment if it is the fuel/air adjustment at all. I don't know what to do here, I am a little frustrated and just want to ride this around with the kid. Any help would be GREATLY appreicated since the bias towards working on chinese clones is very evident at the shops around here. Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

Piper77, If you have been running a really rich mix your plug may be fouled preventing you from starting it. You may want to try a better plug quality plug and also pulling off the air filter to see if air restriction may be an issue. Otherwise a picture will be needed to identify air mixture screw. Cheers~

Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, when you speak about plug are you talking about spark? I will check the air filter in a bit. I may need some guidance through this process, as I am not very mechanicly inclined. I will also get some pics as well. Thanks

Quick Reply: New Roketa won't start.--SOLVED