Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter

The stupid manual for a RedCat does not explain this for my air filter.It does for a foam filter,but mine has has a screen around it.
What do you do,put oil on it?
What about the filter element,thow away or clean?
Also,has anyone done anything to the air filter to block out water from splashing on it,since its right under the fuel tank in open air?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default air filter

I took the el cheapo one off and installed a uni that you oil. I also put on a filterskinz. It almost never rains here but, i would think the uni oiled down would help keep a lot of water out unless you are puposely hitting the puddles. I saw once where someone relocated it using a drain pipe and a uni at the other end.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default air filter

I would do what adamsrk said and go with a UNI. If your stock filter is foam with a screen around it, you won't be able to soak up the excess oil if you oil it.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Trailblazer
Default air filter

It looks kinda like a K&N with a fine mesh removable screen.Cone shaped,about 3"dia. at one end,about 2" on the other and about 4" long.The filter part is white,not reddish as a K&N.

Is the uin yur talkin about a brand name or means universle?

Thought about taking a 11.5oz plastic coffee can,slice a section off the side,and put it on with cut-a-way to the top and velcro it.It could still breath and the under side of filter would be protected.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default air filter

The chinese k&n style filters can be oiled just like a real K&N. The K&N oil is what turns the filter red. The UNI Pod filter is available in a few different sizes to fit different carbs.

I like the coffe can idea, it should work well.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Range Rover
Default air filter

Is this the same filter as on the jm 125.Was wondering also if this location allows water into the filter.How about washing your atv .Will water run into the filter.What has anyone else done on the jm125.Can you just use it the way it is.Or should you up grade?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default air filter

The filter runs to the front of the atv right under the gas tank.
Yes,I know it would,hosin off around the engine,carb.,yes it would.
I emailed RedCat about the manual,how stupid it is to have one that suppose cover several models,but nothing is in there that really helps out.According to my manual,my atv dont have an air filter.Book says its in a compartment in the front nose.

I did try coffee filter thing and it seems to still get enough air to run good.I'ld like to put velcro on it to hold it in place,but black or duct tape will work to.

mywifesquad,so right now it aint treated with oil,right?
Does it have to be K&N oil or would some other type do like WD-40?I know on the foam you can use light weight motor oil,but I dont think that will on a paper filter.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default air filter

Originally posted by: stewartlittle

mywifesquad,so right now it aint treated with oil,right?
Does it have to be K&N oil or would some other type do like WD-40?I know on the foam you can use light weight motor oil,but I dont think that will on a paper filter.
I would assume its dry and needs some oil. i have never used anything but K&N oil on that type of a filter but you should be ok lightly covering it with any motor oil. It will run off of it eventually but should work ok.

If we are talking about a paper filter you should leave it alone and replace it when it gets dirty.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default air filter

Originally posted by: setters
Is this the same filter as on the jm 125.Was wondering also if this location allows water into the filter.How about washing your atv .Will water run into the filter.What has anyone else done on the jm125.Can you just use it the way it is.Or should you up grade?
I have run the stock air filter on the Jetmoto 125 with no problems. One of the things Im testing is a uni type pod filter for the 125. It definitely wont be water proof but should breath easier.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Range Rover
Default air filter

just did some research and it looks like that filter on my jm 125 is a k&n.So i think im going to order the filter nwrap to go around it and also a spare filter.Also the k& n cleaner and oil.So maybe it wasnt a cheap filter?

Quick Reply: air filter