Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Redcat DPX200

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat DPX200

Purchased a Redcat DPX 200 this past October to add to the Redcat VX200 and Redcat/Kazuma KMZ 150. The vx 200 was just too small frame size wise. I decided to store it for my son for when he gets a little older. I bought the DPX 200 from County Imports, I tried this dealer because Raceway no longer sells Redcat. Bought it crated because I prefer it that way and I can spend the time going over every nut and bolt etc. It appears Redcat has some sort of checking system as they mark each nut and bolt tightened with a magic marker, although I did my own pre-set up checks. The transmission and rear end oil reservoirs had a lot of filings, the chinese manufacturers appear to tap threads after the fact so the filings from threading bolts holes end up where they shouldn't. Did a lot of flushing. The fuel line was all kinked up and required re- routing, not a lot of room to run the fuel line between the carb and the tank. The atv is a typical Redcat, and requires a little finesse to start it while it is cold. I installed a primer bulb on the KMZ 150 for this reason and may do the same to this one although the carb does have a manual butterfly choke it is 'still a little hard to start in cold weather. The battery is terrible and will require replacement which is also par for the course. The foot brake and gear shifter required modifications because they are tucked under the engine and difficult to reach. Once running and warmed up a little the atv is a decent machine for the price. It handles a lot better than the VX200 and has a better suspension. The power band is definately more low end grunt and dies off at higher rpm but it is more of a utility atv. The shaft drive is decent however the chinese gear tolerances are rough so it does hum a bit at speed. The reverse is nice and easy and goes right in every time. I have a few good rides on the atv now and I like it. It's not a Honda but it is a comfortable trail rider. Again this is my third Redcat so I know what I am getting into when I purchase them. I do recommend that if you are not mechanically inclined these are not gas and go machines. It's all in the initial set up and they do require a bit of tinkering before you get out on the trails. The title took almost three months to get. When I bought the Vx 200 from Raceway it took 5 1/2 months to get the title. Getting titles from Redcat appears to be an issue, at least for me. Email response from Redcat and the internet dealers in general (no matter who they are) don't appear to be the best. But persistence usually gets what you need. It's a gamble when buying anything online and drop shipped. Getting service is sometimes a chase however all in all County imorts did everything they said they would for me within a reasonable time frame.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat DPX200

Sir,
My very close friend purchased the DPX-200 too and I gave it the same thumbs up for the price. We rode it hard and it stayed with my Honda 250 all day...no issues. The battery is junk (my friend is a tight wad and doesn't want to buy another one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and it is cold blooded...but for what he paid for his and what I paid for my Honda, lets just say it was worth it. It is my opinion that if they changed the carb, battery and made it semi-auto, this would be a top-notch machine. Not that the clutch is an issue, but limits broader appeal. SEADAWG

However, I do need to investigate why RACEWAY doesn't sell this any more...is it they quit selling Redcat or did they have long term issues? Enjoy.