Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Raptor 50 issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 50 issues

My son's Raptor 50 has a terrible habit of stalling when he stops if the choke is not on. And, if he runs to long with the choke on it starts to run like crap (mostly just slower).

Has anyone had experience with this? His pw50 used to do the same thing until I started running the gas out of the carb before we put it away for anymore than one day. I have been doing that with this thing too, but it's not getting better.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Raptor 50 issues

Paully21

If you need to have the choke on for it to idle then you either have an air leak between the carb. and the cylinder head or the idle air screw and the idle speed screw are not adjusted correctly. when I first got the 50 I found that the idle speed needed to be adjusted (idled to low). after I changed the carb. jetting it did not idle or run correctly at all. I found that I needed to adjust both the idle air and idle speed to get it to idle and run correctly.

also a time or two when it has gotten very muddy or wet is has idled rough and stalled and required the choke on to run. I think that it has either gotten water in the carb. or the mud has temporarily blocked something. after a short time of running with the choke on however the machine has always come back to running normal and the choke can be turned off.

if you loosen the screw at the lower part of the carb. bowl it will drain whatever is in the carb. bowl out of the drain tube. this will get rid of any crap or H2O in the carb.

if you search for the "04-05 Yamaha Raptor 50" in this forum and spend a little time reading the posts I think you will find some very good information about the 50.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor 50 issues

Thanks for the good info...And I did search, but I was specifically looking for "choke" and raptor 50.

I had previously adjusted the idle a bit higher, but it did nothing for the stalling. I should also mention, that it stalls and won't start then without the choke;regardless of how warm the engine is.

We're going for a snow ride tomorrow afternoon. I can fiddle with it then and hopefully make some progress. It is a bit frustrating for him and me to have him stalling out all the time.

Thanks again,

Paul

Old 01-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor 50 issues

Of all my quads that little Raptor 50 has caused me the most headaches. Ours used to do the exact same thing. It is better now but since I have done so many things to it I cannot tell you what has helped the most.

Things we have done- Of course lots of idle and air mixture adjustments. We did the carb and throttle mod, which seemed to help it run better all the way around. We then put in an aftermarket CDI, which only affect the top speed and not the idle issues. We bought a K&N filter for it and I put two more holes in the back of the air box to allow more air in and pulled the spark arrestor. This seemed to help the most, because stock it was running way rich.

Also another advantage of putting some extra holes in the back of the air box is if I know it is going to be in water I will tape up the stock air holes to help keep the water out. The stock holes are directly above the front tires and any water splashed up is directed straight into these holes.

You still cannot "stab" the throttle without it bogging some.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor 50 issues

Okay, we went riding today (27 degrees F) and it was not fun. The problem he has is his hand is too small (or not coordinated enough) to pull in the brake and press the starter without using two hands. Therefore his throttle hand isn't able the feather the throttle on.

Anyway...I played with the idle and that didn't work (I think it was the idle). Where is the air mix adjustment? There is a small flat head screw on the carn on the (rider's) right. But, it was impossible to move. Is that even the right one?

Perhaps I should take the carb apart and clean it out...hmmmm...

Old 01-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Raptor 50 issues

Paully21

there is a rubber cap next to the idle speed adjust (riders left)), idle mixture screw is under it. I have not had any idling problems with our 50. I have added the carb. (slider and jetting), throttle and CDI changes to improve performance and they have worked very well. I did have to do some adjusting of the carb. after the slider and jetting to get it to run correctly (that was expected), but once adjusted it has run awesome.

I do however see the problem where if you "stab" the throttle to full from idle the quad will stall or bog down. If my son "feathers" in the throttle to get the RPM up a little before gunning it the motor will take off just fine. since my daughter now rides the 50 and I have adjusted the throttle down to the minimal for her I have defered finding a solution to the problem until she actually needs full throttle. One thing I did notice is that there is a clip on the the needle valve of the slider that allows for adjusting of fuel/air. perhaps this needs to be changed to get the correct response. however if anyone finds the solution to this I would really like to see it posted.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor 50 issues

I'm not seeing any rubber cap. there is a white plastic piece over the choke...

Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Range Rover
Default Raptor 50 issues

maybe the rubber cap is missing. could be a problem, not sure

check out

http://www.worldofcycles.com/ (or any of the other 100 parts sites)

select PARTS FICHE and then enter the info at the bottom of the page
for the quad. when you get to the parts page select INTAKE in the pulldown
box. item #8 is the idle speed, item #9 is the idle/air and Item #10 is the rubber cap.

before I started agjusting my carb. I went online and read a couple of articles on carburators
and jetting and got a better feel for how things worked and what I was shooting for when adjusting
the thing. it definitely helped.

Have you done any of the mods (slider or jetting) ? if so then did you replace the slider cover gasket
or reuse the exisiting one. I found that you cannot get that one off without some damage to it. an air
leak there would also cause problems.