Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

newbie 97 lt80?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie 97 lt80?

Just picked up a 97 lt80 that has a full CT kit a 107 with porting,reeds, airbox mods, clutch mods, ct pipe and carb. Works shocks all around and jl extenders.being new to the 80 (I have owned 3 lt250r's and currently still have 1 and a quadzilla ) Just was wondering what i could expect out of this and at $850.00 i know i shouldn't get hurt with the price but wanted to an opinion from more informed people than i in these mini's and i have read alot of jacks(lt80) post and he seems to be the man to ask and reply would be appreciated thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default newbie 97 lt80?

Welcome to the forums.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Was that on ebay? I seen it yesterday somewhere.
Should be a fine machine for you.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default newbie 97 lt80?

yes it came from ebay suppose to go pick it up today. Was wondering about the 107 kit , even on CT's site i don't see one that is 107 and haven't found one anywhere else either. was wondering what kind of power(HP) i could maybe expect from this kit. I am not a big lover of CT but i am sure there is a reason they are in business, also say it's starting to slip going up hill would it be a good idea to go ahead and repalce the rear clutch spring?I'm sure once i get it home i will have a ton more questions.i like to learn as much as possible as fast as possible when i get something new. I got this for my 9 yr old daughter

Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default newbie 97 lt80?

The 107..it's normally called a 105 kit. Altho, with a stock stroke it is 96cc's. Stroke the crank from 42mm to 45mm and it's 104cc's. I'd ask if the crank has been stroked. If so, it could be 107 but I'd guess not.

To be honest, I'm just sending back a motor that was done by CT. I will gladly post a quote on it's peformance when I hear. I'm expecting a "WOW" report back.
They widened the exhaust perfectly but didn't raise the exhaust near enough. Shaved head but not re-chambered.
The rear clutch work was the best part. Very good actually, but advancements have been made.

I'm sure it runs good. If not, I'll try to help advise. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
If she's not expierienced, tell her to hang on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I bet your daughter is very excited. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default newbie 97 lt80?

talked tonight got to pick it up tomorrow. Once i get it here I'll check it out and see how it runs and check the clutch about the slipping. Got a feeling tho that in the end it may need MOORE power[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] this winter, but we will see how she handles what it has. She has no problem on anything else she has been on but nothing has had this much power but knowing her in a couple of hours on it she will be like she has had it for years(Dad's Daredevil) Guess if i have any more questions i will give you a yell Thanks for talking to me about this it's appreciated by more than one of us.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default newbie 97 lt80?

Got it home tonight and it will not start. Normally i would not have bought it this way but it had good spark, but it had bad gas and a bad plug so i figured go home get a plug and drain the old gas (which i did) and get it started, well it didn't work out that way. Got the plug put good mix in it jumped the battery and all it would do is spin. Checked the plug 10 times always good spark took the carb off and made sure all passages where clean reinstalled yet again all spin no start. have a couple old (probably not reliable) compression testers and checked that nothing over 60 on either one of them so tomorrow time to buy a new tester and we will see if it is still low i guess it's top end rebuild if not is there anything other than the key way being sheered that could cause this any help is appreciated i have 10 days to get it running before my daughter gets the surprise [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] thanks all

Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default newbie 97 lt80?

Let me know asap what the compression is.
I've not seen a keyway shear on a LT80. Possibly a blown head gasket but I'm betting on the piston/bore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default newbie 97 lt80?

Well got it running. I took apart the top end and both rings were stuck, got them off cleaned everything up put it back together and it fired after a few times [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. But i know the compression is still low but it runs for now and the longer i ride it the better it gets but for some reason it takes awhile for it to rev to where it makes power but when it does it takes off decent. Found out it had been sitting atleast since last summer. Was wondering what may be causing the lag in acceleration, was going to try and clean the pipe but not sure of the best way to do it. Ran it agianst a car for speed 32mph but still not running right was not kicking in the power band very well at that time any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default newbie 97 lt80?

Compression will effect everything. It's be nice to know what it is. It would make helping more easy.
I'd like to say this and that but would rather know the comp first.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default newbie 97 lt80?

Tore apart the front clutch it was fried. All rollers flat(it has 3) moveable drive mared the back plate just noticeable mared and the key was about ate thru. Am going to get a compression tester today and check that with a good one guessing about 90 to 10 right now. want to get the clutch fixed first and then get the top end done it runs right now so i figure i can take care of the other stuff now until i can get a new top end. Not sure about the back clutch yet getting a socket to get it apart today too. Anything i should look for while apart don't have a scale yet to weight the shoe but holefully soon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: newbie 97 lt80?