Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

first accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first accident

Once again a helmet saves the day! Some people just really don't understand how important helmets are. I have stressed this for ever!!!! I am happy to hear things turned out well. One bad thing about the sport of Atving and motocross is that it is very hard to never fall........ but if you have the right gear on most of the times you can wipe it off on go on! The problem is the ones that don't wear there gear ALL THE TIME!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default first accident

My 5yo girl crashed hers the 2nd day we owned it.. she over corrected on uneven ground, moving too fash, and actually ran into the rear wheel of my Rancher 350. The quad flipped and she went flying... came up spitting dirt (had an open face helmet on.. now has full-face) with very wide eyes, but no tears... She looked down and noticed one of her shoes was gone and a scrape on her ankle. Scared the mess out of me.. but she got back on and we rode home. Wife said she came running in the house and couldn't tell her first crash story fast enough.

Next day I decided it was time for real driving lessons.. broke out the cones and we practiced figure eights, stop and goes, weaving between cones, shutting the motor off... everything I could think of.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default first accident

I can't agree more that all kids should be riding with the proper safety equipment. My daughter took a spill and had nothing but a few scrapes and bruises...thank God. I know that the helmet is probably the most important but one overlooked area is the neck. My kids wear a neck/collar brace that I got for around $25. I feel this is very important because how many of these young kids have these big helmets on and their heads are bobbing around as they ride. It just gives them the extra support and safety where the helmets ends and their shouders begin.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Default first accident

Neck Brace - great idea - where did you get it?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default first accident

Our Polaris dealer has a new line of youth helmets designed to be ultra light weight and still have the impact rating. My son's motocross style helmet is actually lighter than his hockey helmet!! I made sure to get it to fit right for him so that it's not wobbly on his head and is good and snug. He'll out grow it fast perhaps, and it wasn't cheap ($130cdn), but as someone stated before .. worth every penny.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default first accident

I got the neck brace from Summit Racing. It is a youth neck brace for Jr. Dragsters. Cost was around $25.00. It helps support the neck from where the bottom edge of the helmet ends to the shoulders.