Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 suspension questions

I have an 87 for my 5 year old. I dont think 2 this time she needs any more power, we will soon find out when we head to the dunes with her new gliders on.

I want to focus on getting the little thing to handle better for her. My questions are what are the advantages of going with the wider a arms over any of the "extended" front end kits? Also what are my options on the rear end? Is there a widening kit for out back( no not mcdonalds). Durablues are nice but also spendy.

Last but not least is there anywhere that seems to have the lowest price on the works shocks?

I thing by widening it and adding the works shocks she will be alot happier.

Im open to other suggestions also, but like I said right now handling is the priority. I think I have the power stuff in mind.....Trinity pep, shaved head, moore carb mod, etc.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making the track wider greatly improves handling, by attempting to keep the veritical roll inside the wheels instead of on the outside, there by fostering the suspension to squat instead of trying to roll. I use spacers on my machine, not sure if there are some that will fit the LT80 but worth a look see. Spacers for all 4 wheels probably around $170.
With regard to springs - keep in mind - soft is grip and stiff is slide. Stiffen the front and the machine will push (try to go straight while turning). Stiffen the rear and the machine may oversteer (front will turn and the rear will want to keep going straight). This will give you a sensation of a nose dive over the outside front wheel.
Adding spacers will also soften the spring rate by adding additional leverage on the springs. Maybe the stock springs would match up great and have a cool handling machine. It could travel over bumps smoothly and have good grip in the turns, without bouncing all over the universe. Spacers also increase the wheel travel giving you a longer arc from the pivot point of the A-arms
My machine went from a top heavy tippy machine to a flat conering fun ride. Feels a little like a go-cart than a 'ops she's gonna roll'. Kinda neat to go from a tippy top heavy machine to actually feel it squat in the turns.
This is where I got my spacers:
http://www.psep.biz/store/arct..._atv_wheel_spacer.htm

If you know the bolt pattern maybe they can match something up for you.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

arms/extenders:: Both work well. The extenders lower the machine slightly.
You can use spacers for the rear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]