Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Giovani - Troubleshoot Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giovani - Troubleshoot Engine

Hi, I just bought a 49CC Giovani ATV on Ebay.

I'm going to ramble off some stuff so that the next guy who reads this won't have to go through the suffering that I did. Haha.

I did the typical thing of trying 2 days to start thing only to realize that you need to hold the brake handle in to get the engine to start. My 9 year old and I went to a gravel road where they are building houses and took it for a spin. I found that in the instructions, they didn't mention anything about some extra washers that came in the bag, so I didnt' use them at first. Then for some reason, the break roter ( big break disk ) started making this jingling noise. I later realized that one of the nuts fell off the bike. So I went back, found the nut and took both back tires off, put the tire back on, the extra washer, the round metal rim, another washer, the bolt and then pin. Now there's no way the bolts comming off now. I realized too that the back axel is loose, so if there's more axel on one side of the bike, you can take a hammer and tap the axel back to the other side of the bike so you have more of an even area.

Anyways, my problem is that my son and I were taking a spin ( him on the atv, and me on my motorbike ) , and the bikes been running twice, really good ( so a total of 2 miles in all since we have gotten it ) , then all of a sudden the ATV stops. I tried restarting it, it just didn't want to go. We pushed it home, got to the garage, I tried turning it over, and it was almost as though it wanted to start, but then didn't go. So...here's what I did.

I checked:
the reset button on the handle bar
the pull plug at the back of the bike by pulling it out, then putting the cap back on.
I took the spark plug out, and put gas on it
I checked the oil with the dipstick to make sure that I didn't run out.
I checked the gas level

I'm not a mechanic and I don't know the names of all the parts, so if you have any suggestions on what I can do to get it started, I'd really appreciate. Keith

Old 06-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh and another thing I did was I changed the CDI Swich that came with the bag of stuff with my Giovani ATV.

By the way, if you keep turning the engine over, it's obviously using the battery to do this so if I run the battery down, can you use a car battery to charge it back up again?

Old 06-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I spelt it wrong, it's Giovanni

Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, not a car battery to charge it up, a car battery charger to charge it back up.

Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

As far as charging the battery, if you set the charger to the 2 amp setting, it won't hurt the battery. I wouldn't leave it connected for a long period of time this way, but overnite shouldn't hurt it.

As for the sudden stopping, check your wiring harness for any loose connections. Also check your fuel line from the tank to the carb for kinks and check the petcock valve to make sure that the fuel is turned to the on position.

What is the "CDI Swich that came with the bag of stuff with my Giovani ATV" that you are referring to? Can you describe what it looks like?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

Can you desdribe where the petcock valve is? I didn't know this atv had a valve that turns the gas on and off?

The CDI switch looks like this:
http://image.ec21.com/image/ow...51_CA00626456/CDI.jpg

Or if you go to google.com , then images, and type in CDI Switch ATV, you will see more pictures.

I followed the fuel line from the tank, to the small white container/filter, then to the engine where there's a small clamp. I took the clamp off and gas came out. I don't know where after that to look for more of a gas problem.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so it's 10:30PM and I went into the garage, and while I was trying to start it, I drained the batt. That's ok, I have a car batt. charger.

I poped the seat off, tugged a wire, and noticed that either I tugged it unloose, or it was unloose to start. I connected it up again. I tried it and it didn't start. The wire was from that safety pull thing on the back of the ATV.

I then looked just under where the engine says GIO there was a rubber inlet kinda sitting there empty. I found this one tube that was just hanging there comming from a gas filter type thing, and plugged it in the hole.

I tried it again, and nada. What's really strange is that when it just stopped, my son was driving like 25 km's an hour, nothing radical, and it just stalled. Anyways, still troubleshooting : \

Old 06-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there guy, a mechanic once told me a GREAT way to go about checking whats wrong with any engine. He said "Its either gas or spark, either the engine is not getting gas or spark". Every time I get another 100$ atv or bike that doesnt run(basket case) I check to see if its getting enough fuel or or spark.

Lets check the gas first, make sure theres fuel in the tank (duh) remove the hose that goes to the carb. (make sure you have a towel ready) You can control the gas on/off by turning a **** at the bottum of the tank usually on the left side bottum. It has ON/OFF/RES (RES is reserve for when fuel is low). If fuel is not passing through the rubber tube then there is a clog in the tank or petcok. In your case I highly doebt there is a clog being that its so new.

Shock time... Ok every time I do this I get shocked (its only 12v it wont kill you). First remove the spark plug from the clylinder head and hold it to an exposed piece of metal, preferabley something without paint. Now turn over the engine with it held to the metal. You should see spark at the tip of the spark plug, if not then there is an electrical problem. Im no good with electrical but I would think it would have something to do with the cdi or maybe a loose connection.

I cant see there being a major peoblem with your sons bike though, I would definatlety contact the seller and explain as you have here what has happened. Ive seen people get a brand new atv for just raising their voices a little. Im getting mine for my two little ones this Thursday so I guess thats why Im responding so. I love those 50cc clone engines their so cute! Hahaha no seriously they are a great little engine, Ill check back to see how your doing. You may want to pick up a repair manual for something with your set up. I just download my manuals online which is great and sometimes free depending on your model. I cross reference all my 4 stroke chinese atv parts with Honda atv parts and they usually match up. I have a China atv 125cc from a Company that went out of business 4 years ago so Ive kept it going with parts from this and that. I have a Honda 125m three wheeler with the same exact engine and mose of the parts are interchangeable. Same goes for the TRX125, Im looking into getting an aftermarket pipe and carb to beef it up a little. Its al in good fun though, for me at least and with 4 kids I gotta keep the little ones busy with somethin!! Later GL

Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Range Rover

H2Ohhh, yours may not have a petcock valve. My sons doesn't either. If it does, it's just an on/off valve between the gas tank and the carb that controls the gas flow.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

So I took off the spark plug, rested it up against something metal on the atv, and turned it over but didn't get a spark.

I then look at the spark plug but other than looking a little dirty ( grayish ) it seemed ok and it SHOULD generate a spark.

I then looked inside of the spark cable, and the thing the spark plug rests in was loose. I tapped and it fell out, and then a smaller bar of metal and a spring popped out of the end of the cable where the plug rests in.

So what I need to know is what order do these go back in? I'm guessing it's the spring, the metal bar, the twisting metal part that the plug slips in. I've put it back like that but with no luck. Still no spark. I followed this cable to the other end thinking " OK if it's a cable, I'll bring it an ATV shop and replace it but that wire goe from the one side where the spark plug it, to the other side of the engine into this chamber, and it looks really tricky to pull apart this brand, new bike...sighs.

Quick Reply: Giovani - Troubleshoot Engine