Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Giovani - Troubleshoot Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giovani - Troubleshoot Engine

I cant find any schematic on the spark plug wire but I did come across this page with some really good info.

I really feel for you man, if your not getting spark then its definatley electrical. It could be a number of things at this point. Im thinking it may have something to do with the safety features on the bike. If there were any way to bypass all the safety stuff I would try that. At this point though I would call the person you bought it from they really need to make good on this situation. I have 4 kids and I know if they got thier new quad and it broke down a couple hours after we got it I would feel like crap! I'll check back to see hows it goin, good luck.

http://www.autohausaz.com/html..._spark-plug-wires.html

Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so one solution was under the front of the atv, right under the lamp, their were 3 of the plastic connectors. I disconnected 2 of them and the ATV started up again. I read in another log on here that this happened to someone so I tried it and thank gawd, the thing started.

So now I'm going to look at the schematic at the back page of the instructions, and try and figure out what's busted on this thing. It's only a week old, so that really bites.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same bike for my son since Xmas. I haven't run into that problem yet....its good to know how to get it going again though.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

You should have just went and bought an ATV from someone LOCAL man , NEVER TRUST EBAY especially for items of that value

Old 08-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer

great you got it running, now you need to put deielectric grease on all electrical conections, will make a huge differance on water crossing and puddle jumping and wrap it all up with electrica tape, also make sure your air filter is protected (collects a lot of collatoral damage, water / mudd spray) always enjoy the bike my kids love theirs... I need more bikes.........

Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: H2Ohhh

Hi,

I then looked inside of the spark cable, and the thing the spark plug rests in was loose. I tapped and it fell out, and then a smaller bar of metal and a spring popped out of the end of the cable where the plug rests in.
</end quote></div>

Your spark plug cap is broken, you should buy a new one. I bought an NGK cap of the same size to replace mine when it broke. You cut the old cap off (save as much of the plug connector wire as you can) and twist the new cap onto the old wire. I doubt you will get reliable spark with the connector pieces broken.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by H2Ohhh
Hi, I just bought a 49CC Giovani ATV on Ebay.

I'm going to ramble off some stuff so that the next guy who reads this won't have to go through the suffering that I did. Haha.

I did the typical thing of trying 2 days to start thing only to realize that you need to hold the brake handle in to get the engine to start. My 9 year old and I went to a gravel road where they are building houses and took it for a spin. I found that in the instructions, they didn't mention anything about some extra washers that came in the bag, so I didnt' use them at first. Then for some reason, the break roter ( big break disk ) started making this jingling noise. I later realized that one of the nuts fell off the bike. So I went back, found the nut and took both back tires off, put the tire back on, the extra washer, the round metal rim, another washer, the bolt and then pin. Now there's no way the bolts comming off now. I realized too that the back axel is loose, so if there's more axel on one side of the bike, you can take a hammer and tap the axel back to the other side of the bike so you have more of an even area.

Anyways, my problem is that my son and I were taking a spin ( him on the atv, and me on my motorbike ) , and the bikes been running twice, really good ( so a total of 2 miles in all since we have gotten it ) , then all of a sudden the ATV stops. I tried restarting it, it just didn't want to go. We pushed it home, got to the garage, I tried turning it over, and it was almost as though it wanted to start, but then didn't go. So...here's what I did.

I checked:
the reset button on the handle bar
the pull plug at the back of the bike by pulling it out, then putting the cap back on.
I took the spark plug out, and put gas on it
I checked the oil with the dipstick to make sure that I didn't run out.
I checked the gas level

I'm not a mechanic and I don't know the names of all the parts, so if you have any suggestions on what I can do to get it started, I'd really appreciate. Keith
something i have to say is that me and my dad had the same problem with my 250cc giovanni we couldn't get a spark and we had no idea what was goin on so we started pulling connections apart and spraying inside og them with lube and we finnaly got a spark and it started to run but my regulator has always been messed up and it would charge a car battery so i hooked up a car battery to it and ran itlike that but this winter i am going to put it in the garage and clean the inside of the engine out because i went mud bogging without a snorcle and no it doesn't purr like a kitten anymore, but if you have any advice for me just give it to me. thanks

Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brodybrat_127@hotmail.com
...but my regulator has always been messed up and it would charge a car battery so i hooked up a car battery to it and ran itlike that ...
I don't quite understand how a messed up regulator can charge up a car battery, but not a little quad battery. Are you sure it was charging the car battery? Or is it just that a car battery takes ten times longer to go dead (70 amp-hours versus 7 amp-hours)? Even though the car battery is going dead slower, it is still going dead and getting ruined in the process. Batteries that sit around partially discharged get ruined quickly.

To measure whether your charging system is working or not measure the DC voltage on your battery terminals while the engine is running at a medium fast speed (headlights off). It should read 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC.