Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How Young Is TOO Young??!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Young Is TOO Young??!

Hi everyone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So, I'm totally new to this and am thinking about buying my son an ATV for his birthday, but I'm not quite sure he's "ready." I researched and found that in my state, he cannot ride on the public trails and whatnot until he's 12, however he would only be riding in my backyard (live in the country with huge yard) and I would always be outside with him, of course. Anyhow, I guess my actual question is how young do you think is too young for these types of things? i seen some on ebay that had extra child features so I could control his speed and whatnot --- anyhow, any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thnx a bunch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

This question is kinda silly. It's reallly all up to the parents discretion. How mature your child is and how well they listen to you. I have an '86 suzuki 50, I have all the restricers removed but left the throttle limiter for my discretion. My four year old son does very well at not going full throttle unless he NEEDS it. I watch lots of video's with him (huevo's collection) so he knows what its all about. I turn him loose in the field while I ride my track and watch him also. He does great. Start yours slow and be patient, mine fell off twice before he learned. Now he respects it and only uses the throttle he needs. Don't yell at him when and if he makes a mistake, TEACH him the right/proper way in his terms.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

I dont know how old your son is now but, have you had any thoughts of starting him off on a powerwheels battery powered machine? I started my kids off on them when they were 2 so they could get some sort of feel for them.

I bought them 50cc gas powered machines when they were 4, adjusted the throttle down to safe speeds and spent alot of time following them around the yard.

My 7 year old stills rides a 50, my 10 year old now rides a 90 (dont tell the authorities) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

As long as you have the time and patience to REALLY teach them how to ride and be safe then 4-5 would be the ideal age to start them off. Also dont go cheap on protective gear. Just makes sure your son is mentally and physicly prepared to ride these machines. The biggest problem I see is that parents are letting their kids ride machines with to much power.

I understand the age limit of 12 to ride on state trails cause that is what it is here in MD.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

thnks guys! Yeah, he'll be about 3 1/2 when he gets it. He absolutely cannot get enough of the power wheels ones! I assume I'll probably be folowing him around the yard for quite a few mths also! ha ... what kind is good to start off with??

Old 09-01-2007, 03:20 AM
Range Rover

i agree its your choice and kids need to know there limits. and hes gonna test them on anything with power. if he gets hurt dont stop him by selling ride hes gonna get hurt its a learning process the best riders in the world started young and even at top of there game they still learn and get hurt everyday. give him guidence and advice not all at once too much will over load mind. he will figure it out all by himself

Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Range Rover

I would suggest a suzuki or kawasaki 50. These are smaller than yamaha and polaris. You can get them for 800-1000 used on ebay. They have adjustable throttles and pull teathers on the back in case you get tired of following him you can pull it and take a rest!

If you want to go alittle cheaper you can try racewayatv they seem to do a good job with the off brands.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kristina_&lt;3

thnks guys! Yeah, he'll be about 3 1/2 when he gets it. He absolutely cannot get enough of the power wheels ones! I assume I'll probably be folowing him around the yard for quite a few mths also! ha ... what kind is good to start off with??</end quote></div>

the kazuma meerkat the smallest of all the mini atv's, this is what we started our grandkids age 4 and 5 on, the pros on the quad are, small, foot brake, the cons are the transmission, it's a simi automatic, meaning it needs to be shifted, at this age the kids are hard to teach how to up and down shift and why, so most parents just leave it in one gear, eaither first or second gear. i would not buy these again because of the transmission, but to each it own, for this age group 4-8 i would recommend any chinese atv from 50-90cc with the automatic transmission, all the chinese atv in this range are pretty close in size, a little bigger than the meerkat, but they all use the same engine no matter what brand it is. they also use the same tires and wheels, all the electrial the same the only thing the small chinese quads don't share is the frame and plastics, these the manufactor makes, the rest of the atv the manufactor buys and parts are easily obtainable. look at raceways mini 70 or 90cc, don't worry about the speed it can be control with the thottle stop

Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 3 1/2 year old daughter takes me for rides on her 87 yamaha 80cc moto 4. I am always right there so that I can stop the quad if she messes up.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kristina_&lt;3

thnks guys! Yeah, he'll be about 3 1/2 when he gets it. He absolutely cannot get enough of the power wheels ones! I assume I'll probably be folowing him around the yard for quite a few mths also! ha ... what kind is good to start off with??</end quote></div>

That is one thing I really like about the cheap Chinese job it had a remote control that looked like a remote start for a truck. So you don't have to follow him just hit a button. One guy in front to lead and one to follow both with remote to stop them if things get out of control

Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yup, My boy just went from a big power wheels jeep that i added voltage, traction and steering as he learned to handle it, to a Yamoto 70cc on his 4th birthday. he's been driving an old riding mower that doesn't mow anymore since he could walk, Six Flags is a great start too. He watches videos of racing and i believe it helps them keep a cool head, that's about the most important thing i think. we drive our 8.70's ET dart on the street and he cannot be scared. His 17 year old brother won the Chili Bowl in his cart class at 6, We/He did finally decide that it was too dangerous to race Outlaw Car's this year if He wasn't going to pursue it totally. He'll be in goal for the USA world cup team instead.

Quick Reply: How Young Is TOO Young??!