Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How Young Is TOO Young??!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Young Is TOO Young??!

Kristina_<3
You are the one that needs to decide whether or not your son is ready. I started my son out on a Power Wheels Jeep when he was 2. He picked up really well. When he was 3 1/2 I bought him a Meerkat 50. I started him off slow. First gear only and throttle limited. I attached a dog leash to the rear pull kill switch and walked behind him until I felt he had the hang of it. After a few times doing this he was riding on his own in first gear. First gear became too slow for him pretty quick, so I let him ride in second gear for 6 months or so. He's going to be 5 in February and he has been riding without the throttle limited and all gears available as he figured out how to shift it about 4 months ago. He does really well and listens well. So, my experience has been great. I would recommend getting a quad with these safety features and start him off slow. Then, you will have to gauge how he's doing and take it from there. Good luck and don't forget the helmet and safety gear.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

Kristina_<3,

I think you are getting the idea here. It all depends on your child's ability and maturity. Just be warned...If your son loves to ride (and he will). You will be forced to spend countless hours having fun with him and building a relationship that will bring you closer together over the years. You will also end up buying an adult ATV for yourself (which you will enjoy as well). *Remember* YOU WERE WARNED!!!!!

All kidding aside, I think you are great for asking this question. It is up to you but it is always nice to check your line of thinking against those with experience. Sort of a "cross check" for yourself.

My son started riding with me at age 2. I used a harness to strap my son to my chest while I rode my Yamaha Bigbear 350 (1997). When he was 8 years old I put him on my Yamaha Grizzly 660 with the throttle turned down to 5mph. We worked up from there. When he was 10 we bought another ATV for him and my wife to ride (2005 Polaris Sportsman 500). Today he is almost 13 and he drives all our machines (2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700fi, and 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500). He does a great job and is very safe. I still caution him and take every opportunity to teach him more about the sport. This summer he learned about deep water crossings and riding in deep mud. With each trip out we get to know each other a little better and I can see him grow as a rider and a young man. Good luck and enjoy your time with your son. They are gone before you know it.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Kristina,
As a Mom of three, two girls, and one very wild boy. I suggest you consider a GoKart. It is a great investment.
Like others have mentioned speed is an issue with new riders. Most kid Karts have parental controls.
Plus seat harnesses, this should make you feel better. GoKarts also have a lower center of gravity, making them much more stable. Visit our site all karts are listed by age catagories. Let me know if you have questions. Or you can call 1-800-950-2210.
web site

Old 09-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FamilyGoKarts

Hi Kristina,

As a Mom of three, two girls, and one very wild boy. I suggest you consider a GoKart. It is a great investment.

Like others have mentioned speed is an issue with new riders. Most kid Karts have parental controls.

Plus seat harnesses, this should make you feel better. GoKarts also have a lower center of gravity, making them much more stable. Visit our site all karts are listed by age catagories. Let me know if you have questions. Or you can call 1-800-950-2210.

</div>
]http://www.familygokarts.com/gokarts">web site
</end quote></div>
">http://www.familygokarts.com/gokarts[/S</a>

chinese go karts are not a good investment as family go karts states,

Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Yes there are some Chinese factories that quality is not their priority. We have choosen factories that have the quality and a great price.
We do offer Kenbar karts. They are American made. We have made many American families very happy!
Peace.