Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2008 Hi-Bird 250STW

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Hi-Bird 250STW

Hi All,

I recently got a new ATV the 250STW HiBird with racks & winch. Its a pretty cool tool. But the gearing in a little high for what I need. My land is heavily wooded with some pretty good hills. Infact I had to readjust the clutch after the first time I rode it for the day out at the property. I would like to change the rear sprocket. Can anyone tell me how to take it apart? I am not a bad wrench turner, but I know enough to ask first.

Next does anyone know what type of rear sprocket will fit? I have a 12 tooth front and 38 tooth rear. The rear sprocket has a 6 bolt hub and is about 8" across. I would like to go to a 44-46 tooth rear sprocket. (I think) What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to idle along through the woods in first gear. I know I will loose top end and thats fine. I have 36 Ac and no where on the property can I open up what I have so slowing it down would be fine. I am afraid if I leave it like it is I will be replacing the clutch in short order. It will suit my needs a lot better if I can make this adjustment.

The ATV does seem well built I bought from anamcycles and it was delivered quick. The crate was damaged in shipping and the shipper thought it had a bent axle. But it turned out that it was just scuffed up. I haven't tried the winch yet. But everything else works as advertised. The folks at anam don't seem to know much about what they sell. The tech help there is lacking. I have tried talking to them several times. They are little help. About the only thing they told me is some Honda parts fit. But they don't know what model Honda parts. Any help would be great.

One thing I really don't like about it is there is no chain tensioner. I did make a double tensioner and install it that helped a lot. I made a double tensioner so it will have tension on it in forward or reverse. The tensioners work well and the chain no longer drags on the frame. The chain is streching a lot and fast. I think when I put a new sprocket on I will replace the chain at the same time. What size & type chain should I get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry

PS If some one will tel me how to post pics I will post pics of this and my daughters 2006 110 Redcat.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Hi-Bird 250STW

Hi All,

I see lots of reads but no replies. But I wanted to post so others who may have to try the same thing know. I just ordered a 40 tooth sprocket for a 200cc Geobeast off ebay don't know if it will fit took a gamble I will let you know once it gets here. If this fits it will change the gearing from 3.17:1 to 3.33:1 which should help some not as much change as I was looking for but every little bit helps.

You know I have been complaining about the gearing but did not consider the fact that my 60+ lb. daughter was riding with me. While my wife and other daughter were riding the 110 redcat. So that poor 250 was toting over 250lbs. up hills and through the woods. Probably closer to 275 with the other gear we had along in my rack bag and cooler.

Larry