Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton add on

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton add on

what is the best eton addon

Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

Spring loaded chain tensioner..It makes the bike pretty much maintenance free.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

The problem I have had is that the Chain tensioner doesn't keep the chain tight enough, I had alot of chains thrown. I actually took the chain tightener out and don't use it at all. I just loosen the 4 bolts up and use 2 bars to tighten chain and then tighten the 4 bolts. I think the best add on would be a CDI with no rev limit, of course this would depend on it's use and age of person riding it.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hotblooded

The problem I have had is that the Chain tensioner doesn't keep the chain tight enough, I had alot of chains thrown. I actually took the chain tightener out and don't use it at all. I just loosen the 4 bolts up and use 2 bars to tighten chain and then tighten the 4 bolts. I think the best add on would be a CDI with no rev limit, of course this would depend on it's use and age of person riding it.</end quote></div>

Tightening the chain super tight is very hard on parts and will bind the rear suspension...The chain gets tightened and loosened as the rear swingarm travels through its natural arc....The spring loaded tensioner allows the chain to be tight at all times but it still has some give when the chain is pulled tighter by the swingarm travel........The two stroke etons already have a non restricted CDI..They are either adjustable or you can disable it by cutting the green wire on the box.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

The only reason that I do it the way that I do is I have seen too many chains get thrown with the tensioners. It may be because people are under the assurance that they don't have to watch them still. I don't over tighten the chain, but it gets tightened at the midpoint swing of the swing arm. Maybe I should knock on wood but we only through the chain 1 time in 54 races and it was done on its way to being upside down.
As far as general trail use, you are probably right. It would make it so you didn't have to pay as much attention to it.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

I'm kinda confused what you are talking about so I thougt I would post a picture so its clear what we are discussing...I had to add this after putting some long travel shocks on our viper..With the long travel the chain would be really loose at some points of the swingarms arc and the chain would fall off regularly....Adding this spring loaded tensioner allows the chain to remain tight at all times but not TOO tight since the spring can let it give a little as well...Our bike has never thrown the chain since adding the tensioner...Even without the long travel shocks this is a good addition on a stocker setup which just by design will still have the too tight too loose thing happening with the chain.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

I have to appoligize to the author of this post. It kinda got off the beaten path. What works for one may not be the choice of another which is good otherwise we would all be riding the same thing. It's also a discussion that will never be resolved.
Again I appoligize

Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

Oldyeller, what type of modification did you have to do to get the chain tensioner installed.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default Eton add on

I would like to know that too, also, where did you get the tensioner? I would love to put something like that on my kids 110.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eton add on

I am thinking of spending 400-500 on my sons Viper 90 but I'm torn here. Is it worth sinking money into since he's 11 now and might need a larger quad soon. He rides pretty well and can hang with me and my other boys but the slow speed and lack of power is quite a drag[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I was thinking of a pipe, head mod, air filter, clutch springs, tensioner, jetting,and dead man kill switch. I know it would help but I'm not too sure how much. Any thoughts on this one???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Eton add on