Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Semi auto trans problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi auto trans problems?

Hi there.I just recently bought a 110cc chinese made quad.My question is this.It seems to lack low end power in first gear.I am not sure if something is slipping or if it has to do with carb adjustment.It is a 3 speed with no clutch.Seems like the engine races but it doesn't get going right away.Can you help!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

my kids 110 did the same thing it , to me it sounds normal.

hoyt

Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Were you able to determine the problem?Do you know if the centrifugal clutch is adjustable?

Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

its just geared to high i believe his was a 3 speed. how does it feel in 2nd gear with higher rmps does it feel better?

Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

seems to move along ok but he has to rev the crap out of the engine.In first he's got to beturning 3,500 rpm just to get it to move.It is a three speed w/reverse.We changed the oil this weekend and I notice 2 plugs,is the clutch suppose to have some sort of oil?I have been an auto tech for 25 yrs,but lack of info from the manufact.is killing me!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

the engine oil lubes the tranny, your not using synthetic oil are you? some oils dont work well with that set up...i just used valvoline 10w40....does sound like you have a problem .

Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

I take it's the honda 110 clone 3 speed with reverse that all the ATV companies use?? I have one too for the kids and yes it is geared a bit high. It goes fast enough for a kids quad but it could use another gear in there so first isn't so high.

There is just one drain plug for the oil.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually it's all kind of weird.First the masterlink poped of the chain so the chain came off.I repaired the chain and the tourque on first gear suddenly seemed gone.It was good right out of the box.Thats why I was wondering if there was an adjustmen I could make.We did just change the oil and per the place I got them put in synthetic 5w30.If the clutches use the oil for lube then I am better off with a heavier oil right?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

not sure about adjustment but some synthetic oils are not recomended for wet clutches.....if i was you i would take the oil out and run some 10w40 for a few hours change it again put in 10w40 again and run it and see if it gets better...synthetic is expensive and im not sure you benefit any running it in that quad.

hoyt

Old 01-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Range Rover

On a semi auto clutch Honda clone, on the right side of the engine, there should be a chrome or black cover with a few screws or bolts in it & usually the make of the engine or importer etc etc, take off this cover & behind that you will see the clutch adjustment bolt, loosen up the nut that is on it, basically a jam nut to keep it set, then loosen the other bolt with the common screw head sticking out all the way, then tighten it back in, once you feel resistance, back it out 1/4 turn & while holding it there, tighten the jam nut back on. It may or may not have the cover on it, some of them just have the screw bolt & the jam nut sticking out of the case with no cover, but most have the cover on it. This ONLY works for semi auto machines, on autos there is usually no adjustment, its still there so it doesn't leak oil, but that is it, usually it will not help to try adjusting it & if its slipping you need a new clutch pack.

Quick Reply: Semi auto trans problems?