Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help with a DS50

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a DS50

Hey Gang -
New around here, but I'm hoping I can get some help.
After the last ride with my little one, I unloaded his DS50 from the trailer to get it in the garage. As I was riding it torwards the house, it just stopped. It was still running fine and if I really tried, it would move slowly. It was like the brakes were locked up on the rear axle. I put it in the garage, and I finally have gotten around to looking at it. I have unhooked the brake cable as well as taken off the cover for the rear brake. I can't find anything that looks abnormal, but then again, I'm no ATV mechanic. I don't know for sure if it's the brakes or something with the chain/sprocket/trans...

Any ideas on what I should check or how I can rule out different things? I really need to get this going before we get a good snow - otherwise I'll be in trouble with the little guy.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a DS50

This sounds like exactly what happen to me, my problem was the rear clutch main nut had backed off. It was so bad that pushing it to the starting gate the back tires just slid. Take and roll the quad back and forth and you should be able to see if the axle is locked, there should be a little free play before the clutch would catch. Of course do this when it is not running. If it appears the axle is free then you need to take the clutch cover off and check for loosen nuts, broken springs in the rear and bad weights in the front. Make sure that everything is clean as well, which can affect the movement of the front variator. It isn't a hard job, just make sure everything gets put back into place when you reinstall the clutches. If you have someone that has done it before it wouldnt hurt to watch the first time, this is what I did because when we started racing I was clueless. One other thing, once when we were racing everytime he would let up before a jump the quad would die and didn't want to restart. What happened is the roller weights got flat spots on them and wouldn't shift back quick enough and kill it. It seems like alot but it is not really.