Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Throttle stuck wide open. :0

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Throttle stuck wide open. :0

Ok, I have to clean the carb out today because this is the second time it happened. LIttle one (6 years old) is ridding 80 in Glamis on a dune ride with us and I see her take off up this huge hill and I'm like "ya, you go girl" she fly's over the top and looks like she is in control. I follow behind her and I can hear a faint screaming. I pull up next to her and she is crying and her thumb is off the throttle. Well I pull a pitman manuever... just kidding. I pull in front of her a little and the quad stops. Now I have putchased a kill switch that she can just yank off and I have to install that. First question is regarding that.

What wire do I hook the kill switch to. I know it's under the light fixture just not sure which one and where does the other wire on the kill switch go to.

2nd question. I am buying a new throttle cable today and was also considering buying a Uni UP-101 filter as I saw someone else post they put that on the vent tube for the carb and it helps keep dirt out. Does anyone else have experience with that?

I also took off the air cleaner and there is some thick like wet sand plastered to the interior walls of the air filter housing on the tube into the carb (you know the little boot you remove to take the carb off) We have a uni filter and I am puzzled. I am cleaning out the carb and I want to prevent this from happening again.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Under the hood, the wires comming from the motor there is a red black and a white black wires. You put one kill switch wire on the red/black wire, the other to a ground (front fender bolts).
Watch the routing of the throttle cable. It runs down on the left side of the air box assem. and down to the carb. Sometimes they get pulled/damaged and causes the problem.
The UP-101 filters the VENT LINE going to the carb and is a good idea.
Better check that rubber boot for cracks. That can happen and let the dirt in.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

LT,

You had stated to check the rubber boot. Which rubber boot are you referencing?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The one that connects the filter body to the carb."(you know the little boot you remove to take the carb off)"
That has been known to crack.
Your oiling the filter,,right?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will bet your air filter go so dirty that is passed some grit. The grit is now on the slide, and that is what is holding the slide open.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Sand is hard on anything. You really need to do a lot of regular maintenence. You should be checking Air cleaners regularly, and replacing throtle cables every season. They are consumables.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Good call reconranger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, got carb off finally.. damn 8mm wrench. When I replace the gas lines, I notice there are two of them. I am assuming one is for the reserve? Should I replace both of them?

My filter is oiled and I cleaned it every few trips. I did find the culprit I believe. One of the three bolts holding the top on the plastic air cleaner cylinder was missing allowing more dirt in there. Is there an easier way to get the air filter out? Those three bolts to remove are a pain and then it's a pain getting my hands in there. Any tricks on this?

Thanks again everyone. Your help is priceless.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

3 bolts.....?
How about the 2 screws that holds the aif filter box on. Remove those, pull the rubber boot off the carb. Then use your left hand. grab the air box with your thumb and index finger. Simply pull out the left side.
FYI:: Ppl have problems with it usually cuz they turn,bend,swear at it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

YOu are right, only two screws. Third one I saw was for the boot that connects the top of the air box to the boot on the right side (engine cover).

Removed two and noticed some dirt in there. Cleaned it out. I also noticed in the Carb it has a 92.5 jet (guess previous owner upped jets when he put on DG pipe). So off to motorcycle shop tomorrow morning for new jet. Now I had asked them the other day for a 87.5 (before I knew what I had in there) and they said they only had 85's or 90's. Any recommendations if 85 is fine. I know 90 was stock and it just smoke quite a bit so it's running fat. The needle is in the second slot from the top... guess that's #2 position if I am not mistaken.

New throttle cable installed as well so tomorrow I should be able to fire that baby up.

Thanks again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: LT80 Throttle stuck wide open. :0