Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

standard 12v lights on a quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 01:26 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default standard 12v lights on a quad

I would like to put brighter lights on my Kazuma's. I tired it once w a set of automotive 12v off road lights. They worked, but they drained the battery. anyone found a way to put brighter lights on a quad, even though it doesnt use a conventional automotive alternator? Is there a way to increase the amperage output of the electrical system? A way to add a capacitor of some sort that would prevent the battery from being discharged? Anyone know of any light kits actually designed for quads that will put off some decent light? Or am I forever stuck w dim lights that get even dimmer when the engine is at low RPM's?

Old 04-08-2008 | 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

I got a pair of blue foglights from discount and threw them on my SunL. Theyre 55w each, and havent ever drained the battery.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:29 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sflarider

I got a pair of blue foglights from discount and threw them on my SunL. Theyre 55w each, and havent ever drained the battery.</end quote></div>

did u wire them to the original headlight harness, or direct to battery?

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:29 AM
Range Rover

I am not slfarider, but if your Kazuma is anything like my Taotao 250 D then the wiring is too small a gauge from the factory and is barely large enough to run the factory lights. I would run new wires (about 16 gauge) direct to the battery and zip tie them to the frame then mount you a separate toggle switch for your new lights along with an inline fuse to match the current/wattage rating of your new lights. 16 gauge should support a set of 55 watt lights as long as the battery and charging system can put out enough current to keep the system charged.

Slydog

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:36 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: slydogsrus

I am not slfarider, but if your Kazuma is anything like my Taotao 250 D then the wiring is too small a gauge from the factory and is barely large enough to run the factory lights. I would run new wires (about 16 gauge) direct to the battery and zip tie them to the frame then mount you a separate toggle switch for your new lights along with an inline fuse to match the current/wattage rating of your new lights. 16 gauge should support a set of 55 watt lights as long as the battery and charging system can put out enough current to keep the system charged.

Slydog</end quote></div>

Yeah, thats why I asked. If I remember correctly, the wiring got rather got. Also if I remember correctly, the lights got dimmer at low RPM's when wired to the factory harness. But I could be remembering that incorrectly, and they may have gotten dimmer regardless of where I tapped into. so I ran direct to the battery as you said. But eventually I had a dead battery. So I need more output, or lamps w less draw.

Old 04-08-2008 | 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

I ran them straight to the battery, with the supplied wiring. They run off a toggle. I havent had any issues with it, and theyve been on it for at least 3 months now.

Old 04-08-2008 | 02:49 PM
Range Rover

if you don't mind spending the $ try trailtech.net they have HID lights and light kits for minis.

Old 04-08-2008 | 02:50 PM
Range Rover

Yes if you could find some LED fog lamps that would be much less current/wattage draw, like 5 watts per LED fog lamp versus 55 watts per halogen light. Streetglow makes an LED fog lamp that would have a low current draw, but I am unsure of the brightness. If you were able to find LED headlights that would be ideal, but they are currently expensive as the technology is rather new.

If your creative you could make your own using LED lamps like ones sold below........

http://www.ledtronics.com/markets/auto_index.htm

I would probably go with something like the B640 LED lamp with a custom angle for a wider coverage area.......................Slydog

Old 04-08-2008 | 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldve gone with LEDs if the fog lamps didnt work out. I figured that my stator would go within a week, but it hasnt so I just kept them on. Those B640 lamps are quite attractive, so I am going to get a few for my other bikes.

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:18 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

thanks guys.

Quick Reply: standard 12v lights on a quad