Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 650Mobrute

Thanks for all the replys, At the moment I think im going to wait 6 months or so and then re-evaluate the thought. Prolly get him a battery operated one this week and see how he listens to instructions and handles it before we jump in all the way. If he takes to it like a fish to water then might move on up a lil sooner. Just play it by ear for now. THanks agian for all the input [img][/img]</end quote></div>

sorry i disagree with you on your decision, sounds to me mommy step in and said no way my kid going to have a gas powered atv. go to www.mohavevalleyraceway.com, look at atv race results 0-90 class. frist place 8 year old, second place 7 year old, 3rd and 4th place 5 year olds, i would not waste money on a battery powered atv for a 4 year old, just my opinion, but the avt must fit the kid.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Suggestions

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: chineseatvmechanic

sorry i disagree with you on your decision, sounds to me mommy step in and said no way my kid going to have a gas powered atv. go to www.mohavevalleyraceway.com, look at atv race results 0-90 class. frist place 8 year old, second place 7 year old, 3rd and 4th place 5 year olds, i would not waste money on a battery powered atv for a 4 year old, just my opinion, but the avt must fit the kid.</end quote></div>

Are you for real?..This guy is being cautious and is probably making a good decision here for the sake of his childs safety....Sure maybe his kid can handle a gas powered atv but there is sure no harm in waiting a little while... The kid will be getting very valuable experience as well as showing his parents what he is capable of while riding the electric machine.......Just because some kid wins a race somewhere at age 5 or 6 doesn't mean everyones child can hop on and do the same thing.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Range Rover
Default Suggestions

Quote: "sounds to me mommy step in and said no way my kid going to have a gas powered atv"

Insult a person for showing a bit of wisdom? Bet ya don't have kids and probably are one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Suggestions

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Outof$

I want to personally thank you Dufrane for contributing to the reason law makers are coming down so hard on us all. While I dont discount that you know your girls well, I really hope you dont think having a 10 year old ride a 500cc machine and a 7 year old ride a 800cc is nothing more than unresponsible. You do what you want but their are some of us that arent impressed nor want to be reminded which people are responsible for the crazy laws some states have. Then to take a picture of them riding doulble with no helmets, thats just the greatest. I know you said it is just for a picture, but it looks like the girl on the back is scared to death!

Take this comment anyway you want, I just had to reply.</end quote></div>

+1

Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Suggestions

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: chineseatvmechanic

sorry i disagree with you on your decision, sounds to me mommy step in and said no way my kid going to have a gas powered atv. go to www.mohavevalleyraceway.com, look at atv race results 0-90 class. frist place 8 year old, second place 7 year old, 3rd and 4th place 5 year olds, i would not waste money on a battery powered atv for a 4 year old, just my opinion, but the avt must fit the kid.</end quote></div>

Well your pretty far off base with that, but your entitled to your opinion. My wife doesnt even know anything about me considering gettting a bike for our youngest yet . That decision is 100% all me. I also agree that and Automatic is the only way to go at that age. The Idea of a gas 50 is not totally gone yet, im just leaning the other way at the moment due to knowing my child and how well he minds heh.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Range Rover
Default Suggestions

i didn't mean to offend 650 mobrute , but are you guys kidding me, a chinese atv is safer and will last longer for a 4 year old than a battery powered atv, heres why, larger wheels and rubber tires, not plastic, real suspension with real shocks, remote kill switch, speed control down to appox 4mph,plus can walk behind the atv with a tetter,this builds up the kids confidense and ability, the battery atv has 2 speeds 3mph and 5 mph, no tetter, no remote kill bottom, plastic battery powered atv costs from $200 about the same price of a used chinese atv. a average 4 year old will have no problem riding a gas powered quad with parent supervision. if 650 mobrute decides to buy a battery or gas atv its his discission not mine, this is only my opinio, my son started riding a suzuki jr 50 at age 3, at 5 he was riding and racing a rm60, at age 8 he was racing 80cc expert. when our 2 grandkids turned 3-4 we gave them their first go kart (gas) , when they turned 4-5 we give them their first atv's, kazuma 50 meerkats, when they turned 6-7, we then upgraded to a 90 and a 110 for the 6 year old since his riding ability was better, now they 9-10, and 2 weeks ago we just brought them adult size hi birds 110 with the simi automatics. as you can see i don't belive in babying kids as they will surprize you with their natural ability.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Suggestions

I might as well get in on the action, here! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We have 4 kids: 3 girls aged 15, 12 and 6 and a son who is not quite 5 years old. We just bought all of them ATVs ( 110CCs for the bigger girls and 50CCs for the younger 2 kids) So far, we have had no problems with any of them handling their ATVs. Or son is quite an active little fella, but he does listen to our instructions. We have taken safetly precautions: a good helmet ( that goes without saying), instructing him HOW to ride ( while sitting on it with the engine off , at first.where throttle is, brakes, what not to touch, how to lean properly when going around corners and up and down hills, etc) and limiting the throttle. He has done wonderfully on his little 50cc chinese bike! I do believe, however, that it is up to the parents of each child to make a decision as to whether or not their child ( or children) is ready for a gas powered ATV. We looked at it this way: if we bought a 50CC for him and he couldn't handle it at that age, we could WAIT and teach him to ride it when we felt he could handle the machine and ride it safely. Just my 2 cents worth, but I believe that not only safety precautions are important, but parental supervision at all times is the ultimate necessity.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Suggestions

I don't believe in babying kids as they will surprize you with their natural abilities. Couldn't of said it better myself. For the first thing both girls were just siting on the bike for the photo. They were NOT riding doubles. The pic of Amber on the back looking scared lol she was mad because she wanted to be on the front. It's called sibling rivalry. Sorry to get your goat outof$ but you said it best you have no idea how my girls are. Also sorry to hear about the laws in your or other states,think thats why they have a thing called voting. They just pased a law here in FL tthat lets atv's on dirt roads as long as you have a helmet and can prove the bike belongs to you. The police here smile and wave as we drive by them. Now i also was thinking of geting smaller bikes for the girls,but with the trails here they would never make it. Mud and water too deep. Also anything chain driven would never last with all the sand. My neighbor won't even take his 660 raptor where we ride because of this fact. Now with all that said not here to impress anyone or ruin anything for anyone was just showing the fun kids can have.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Suggestions

650Mo- Go with your gut. It's your kid and only you will know when he's ready for prime time.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Suggestions

My youngest hit the 12v quad at 1 1/2 years old and is now pegging the rev limiter on a Raptor 50 at 3. It's all about how the kids handle it.
I do make sure all the protective gear is there though. Nobody knows how "your" kids will react but you.

Good Luck.

Jay

Quick Reply: Suggestions