Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help with carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with carb

Ok, 125cc hensim tierra, runs ok but this thing will not idle. took the carb apart and cleaned it,put it back and nope, still wont work, my book is actually not bad as far as describing parts and such. you can adjust the carb but it idles for a brief period and dies. I am at a loss have been dealing with this for quite some time and ready to kick this thing to the curb. It is so bad my 12 year old son has become a master at how to ride it with it not being able to idle. It is scary. If anyone has any ideas or experienced this problem any and all help would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Help with carb

i guess you already tried adjusting the mixture screw, if you haven't start with a warm engine, screw the mixture screw in all the way then start with 2 turns out, then adjust in or out until you reach the hightest obtainable rpm, then set the rpm to factory spec somewhere around 1500-1700 rpm's. if you already done this the next step would be to adjust the valves, if the valves haven't been adjusted before or it's been awhile you might have one a little to tight, they have a tendency to tighten up reather then loosen up. third would be to check for air leaks around the intake area, to do this start the engine , then spay starting fluid around the intake and carb area, if you have an airleak this will increase the rpm's while spaying. after you tried these 3 items and still have problems get back to us for more ideals

Old 04-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with carb

sbaker72,

I know you said you cleaned the carb and you may not want to do it again. But for you to have a bike/quad that will idle you will need to make sure your pilot jet(slow jet) is thoroughly clean and that means removing the jet from the carb and giving it a good cleaning with carb cleaner, then blow it dry with a high pressure air gun. Make sure you can see light through it before you reinstall the jet back into the carb. We had a Chinese quad and if it sat for a few weeks it would plug right up, I will tell you it was quite a chore to do every time. I had to remove many parts just to get to the carb.

If you just spray carb cleaner without removing the jets, it does not always guarantee a clean jet. You need to do a visual inspection on them to make sure it is clean. If that does not work then do the valve adjustment.

SB

Old 04-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help with carb

ok guys, thanks alot. Completely forgot about a possible air line leak. I have only had this thing not quite a year. It has probably right around 10hours on it. You are dead on, these things are pain in the rear to get to the carb, half the friggin bike is on the floor just to get there. But I am a master at it now, its been apart so many times. Thanks alot I will try all 3 ideas, and get back with you guys.