Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

My KMD 250cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My KMD 250cc

Hello,

Ive seen alot of people putting out reviews of their MIC (Made in China) quads, and decided to one for mine. I purchased mine from MX Motorsports in Florida. It was already assembled by dealer, and ready to go.

First Month:

Initial thought, it was a great looking bike. I love how the rear fenders flare outward, and the bike has an impressive amount of power. The bike has 5 gears, 4 forward (all up) and reverse (down).
Took it to a few local spots, no problems whatsoever. I was able to go anywhere that my friend on a 07 Recon 250 would go, even with the cheap tires it came with. I even was able to slide over some strips that he couldnt.
The rear brakes wore out after only 2 hours, but who really uses brakes with a manual clutch. Other than that, no problems, bike ran great.

Second Month:
Bike is still running strong, although now its hard to get idling at first start. I am blaming that on the water, gotta refill the radiator more often than I did. Once its warmed up, about 5 minutes worth of idling, the bike runs like a dream.
Midway through the second month, the exhaust mount bolts broke off. Had to rig it with plumbers strap for now. Works ok, until I can get a welder on it for a permanent solution.
Chain started stretching, and had to take out a link. I didnt want to mess with the rear, because it was actually set pretty nice to begin with. Chain lined up perfectly with front sprocket, so I took the link out to compensate. The tensioner bolts stripped, so those were no help. Bike is still running great.
Front brakes finally wore out, now Im left with no brakes. As before, who uses breaks with a manual clutch. Noticed a slight sluggish feeling at top end, and cleaned the carb, and tank. Now its whistling in tune.

Third Month:
The chain started stretching even more, and took advice from sly, and got a DID chain. I was getting one for a friend, and got myself one. My bike uses a larger chain, the 525 instead of the usual 428 size that most of the imported bikes use. Put it on, snugged it up with new tensioner bolts, and now I have lots more power. I couldnt believe that a little slack in the chain would degrade the performance that much.
Still havent got to weld the exhaust bolts, but the makeshift rig seems to be holding quite well. I was hitting a small jump, maybe 10 feet, and on the landing I heard a snap. I just knew I broke my bike for good, but to my relief it was only the chain guard at the bottom of the rear. It was pushed up and rubbing on the chain. A few minutes later, I pried it back to normal, and all was fine.
Tonight, I rode it to a friends house down the road, and parked it on an incline. Upon leaving, the clutch cable broke and I had to slam it into 1st to get home. Didnt seem to hurt anything, but its not moving until I go get a new cable tommorow. It uses the same clutch cable as a TRX400. It also uses alot of parts from a 250ex, 300ex, and 400ex. Ive sat in the Honda shop for hours looking at parts, and comparing, and it hasnt been too hard to get things I need.

In summation, this bike has served me well for at least 3 months while Im in the process of rebuilding my 250r. Ive already tripled my budget for that, compared to what I paid for this import. I have followed the advice given to others on this forum, by many users who are very educated in the business of Chinese ATV's.
(slydog, chinesemechanic, mwifesquad and many others)

Ive seen alot of people come on here and ask for help, only to get harrassed for their choice of product. To those people, I want you to know that not everyone can go and buy a brand new Rancher, or Grizzly. Or, they might just want a bike that they can beat for a while. No matter the reason, you should only offer your advice if you are truly understanding of the subject in question. If not, then you are wasting screen.

Thank you.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default My KMD 250cc

Thanks for the thorough review sflarider! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You seem pretty satisfied despite a bunch of parts wearing out fast. The chain is normal, and maybe the brake pad wear. But when the cable snapped I might have got a little upset.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default My KMD 250cc

Nice review, I love to read reviews!

Might as well have a picture to go with it!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default My KMD 250cc

lol true, thanks outofline. Went out today, and couldnt get a clutch cable locally, so I ordered one off of ebay. 14 bucks shipped hehe.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default My KMD 250cc

Hey outofline, how much pressure do you run on the shocks? Im thinking that I need some better shocks, but if a certain pressure helps,
then Ill try that first. Our bikes seem pretty similar.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default My KMD 250cc

Ya know they are oil shocks and I have no idea what pressure if any they are under, I have never checked! I am pleased with the suspension of the Jetmoto 250 and have never even adjusted the adjusting ring!