Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How to clean the carb on a 70 ATV?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean the carb on a 70 ATV?

have a Can-Am DS70 that is a couple of months old and won't start. So I have

- Replace the spark plug

I have also taken the carb off of the vehicle and blown compress air through what looks to be to be the jets. Air is passing fine through them.

I called the Can-Am dealer and they told me that most likely it would not be convered by warranty and that it would be 2-3 weeks before they could look at it and it would cost $150.. I am trying to fix it for my sons birthday this Saturday. They told me that I had to completely disassemble the carb and take the jets out and clean them. Which seems to me to be unnessary.

I am completely new to this but it would seem to me that completely taking the jets out would not be necessary.

Can someone give me some tips how to clean the carb? Do you think I really need to take the jets out? They also suggested that I buy some high powered carb clearn and blast it through. I will go up to the store and buy some.

I have not put the carb back on and see if it now runs. I wanted to first see if there is anything else I should do.

Taking the carb off was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

From reading previous posts, they all do say that the only way to clean the carb properly is to break it down. You will have to rememebr your your jet settings so when you put it back together it will be more or less at the factory setting. I hope someone with MORE knowledge comes and corrects if I may have been wrong on the pointers. Also, make sure that your air filter is clean and the air passage (hose) is free of debris and with no kinks. Also, make sure that all clamps are secure.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:21 AM
Trailblazer

to properly clean the carb...you MUST take it off, remove the bowl, remove the jets. clean them out, and hold each of them up to a light and make sure you can see light through them. once they are clean, you need to clean out all the jet port from the carb bowl side. all of the jets are in the carb bowl....so yep...its gotta all come apart. its easy though..once you get the float bowl off, all you need is a flat screwdriver to remove te jets.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

yu can do it without removing the jets, once you remove the float and the needle valve, you can spray everything thouroughly with denatured alcohol and blow it out with a compressor. Done this on 3 of the 4 of my quads and worked great. Plus the denatured alcohol will evaporate any moisture you may have.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a product thats better it's called Deep Creek and is made by Sea Foam product sales , you can get it at all Auto Parts Stores and it works miracle's on carb's for 2 and 4 stroke engines ; i've seen it work on everything from automobiles , lawn and garden equipment engines and motorcycles/ATV's as well without even removing the carbs !

Since you already have the carb off you can remove the jets then use the Deep creep to clean out the passage way's before reassemle , and after putting the carb back on ; if it doesn't do the start follow the directions below !

Instructions are on the can and i would also reccomend getting a can of Sea Foam to treat your fuel in the tank as well , Sea Foam is the same product ; only the Deep Creep comes in a spray can !

Spray the Deep Creep in all passages of the carb and let it soak as the directions on the can dictates , then put the carb back on the quad ; then if it doesn't start ; remove the air filter and spray Deep Creep into the carb thoat with the throddle cracked wide open and it should start at least long enough to burn primered Deep Creep !

If it still doesn't do it spray enough of the Deep Creep into the carb thoat to prime it again , but this time spray enough to flood the engine and let it set for 30 minutes to and hour before trying to start it again ; the direction's on the Sea Foam and Deep Creep !

And when Sea Foam is mixed with gas before pouring it into the tank , this product will help keep your entire fuel system clean ; and it will also clean the combustion chamber of builtup carbon deposits in over 20 yrs working on small engines of all kind i've used evrything and the Seafoam and Deep Creep is by far the best as ever used !

It also comes with a complete money back garrantee if doesn't work to your satisfaction , and it's been on the market since 1942 ; any product that's been around this long and still carries the money back garrantee it has to be a good product !...........

Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pldtj5

yu can do it without removing the jets, once you remove the float and the needle valve, you can spray everything thouroughly with denatured alcohol and blow it out with a compressor. Done this on 3 of the 4 of my quads and worked great. Plus the denatured alcohol will evaporate any moisture you may have.</end quote></div>
if there is a piece of dirt in the pilot jet..no matter what you ut in the tank or spray it out with...it will not come out. why would you waste the time removing the float bowl, removing te float and needle vave..and not take the 3 seconds it takes to remove the 2 jets that are sitting now in plain view?????? have you seen the size hole a pilot jet has on these little carbs? there is nothing that will clean them out without removing them. i have had to (on numerous occasions) take a wire out of a wire brush to poke throug the jet orifice to ge them cleaned out properly.
i dont care what you do to attempt to clean the carb really. theres the correct way...and theres the half assed way. thats the choice you can make on your own. but if you half *** it and it doesnt run. do not under any circumstances come back and say "i cleaned the carb and it still wont run"...because NO, you didnt clean the carb. all you did was spray some cleaner IN the carb.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

lol to each his own but as I stated I have done this on 3 of the 4 quads I own,including the 50cc. And they have been running great for at least 8 months now. so Yes I have seen the sizeof the jets,and if you dont get the jets set back properly then it wont start anyway, so you rin the same situation

Old 05-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bartturner,

holtzer1's advice on carb cleaning is correct. rjdad has just been lucky so far on his carb cleaning technique. We will all lol at him when he posts his question on why his MICS don't start or idle even though he cleaned his carb but did not remove the jets to clean and inspect.

Williebee's advice is also a good one. I have never tried the sea foam, but I think I am going to give it a try. I am curious to see how well it cleans. I have read many posts where guys are using this product for cleaning their fuel systems with great success.

Anyways good luck.

SB.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pldtj5

lol to each his own but as I stated I have done this on 3 of the 4 quads I own,including the 50cc. And they have been running great for at least 8 months now. so Yes I have seen the sizeof the jets,and if you dont get the jets set back properly then it wont start anyway, so you rin the same situation</end quote></div>

LMFAO.....if you dont get the jets set right&gt;&gt;&gt;oh man...i am literaly laughing at my computer screen right now.
you dont "set" jets. they screw in till tight. its a fixed orifice...there is no adjustment. the ONLY adjustment that has a setting is the pilot screw, not the pilot JET. the pilot screw for 99% of all small engines is between 1.5 and 2 turns out from lightly seated. thats all there is to it. the jets inside the carb just get taken out, cleaned and tightened back up. there is no way to possibly screw that up.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: smb05

bartturner,

holtzer1's advice on carb cleaning is correct. rjdad has just been lucky so far on his carb cleaning technique. We will all lol at him when he posts his question on why his MICS don't start or idle even though he cleaned his carb but did not remove the jets to clean and inspect.

Williebee's advice is also a good one. I have never tried the sea foam, but I think I am going to give it a try. I am curious to see how well it cleans. I have read many posts where guys are using this product for cleaning their fuel systems with great success.

Anyways good luck.

SB.</end quote></div>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean the carb on a 70 ATV?