Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How to clean the carb on a 70 ATV?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean the carb on a 70 ATV?

smb05,

Please reread my original post.. I said from reading previous posts, they all do say that the only way to clean carb properly break it down. I was wrong about the jet settings (I was refering to the pilot screw), but I did say that I hoope that someone with more knowledge comes and corrects if I may have been wrong on the pointers. I never said that this is how I do it, I was merely trying to recall what I previously read.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: holtzer1

to properly clean the carb...you MUST take it off, remove the bowl, remove the jets. clean them out, and hold each of them up to a light and make sure you can see light through them. once they are clean, you need to clean out all the jet port from the carb bowl side. all of the jets are in the carb bowl....so yep...its gotta all come apart. its easy though..once you get the float bowl off, all you need is a flat screwdriver to remove te jets.</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pldtj5

yu can do it without removing the jets, once you remove the float and the needle valve, you can spray everything thoroughly with denatured alcohol and blow it out with a compressor. Done this on 3 of the 4 of my quads and worked great. Plus the denatured alcohol will evaporate any moisture you may have.</end quote></div>

Well this is what I am referring to. Again holtzer1 post is right on the mark.

I'm not going to say anything else because holtzer1 already ripped you for the rest of your post.

SB.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

My apologies to all.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

You should have either 2 or 3 jets in the carb. The one that is giving you trouble is the starter jet. It has a very, very small hole. If you let the ATV set for any length of time without running it, it can fill up with varnish from the gas. It can be difficult to clean out the hole because it is so small. But, I think that this is your problem. I import ATVs from China to Brazil, and have found this be be a big problem when they sit for a while with gas in the carb.