Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

roketa atv 110 won't start need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roketa atv 110 won't start need HELP

I have replaced spark plug, replaced battery, disconnected rear kill switch and still only get a click when i try to turn atv over, if i bypass the entire starting system and hot wire from battery to starter it tries to turn over. This ATV has only been ridden tops 2 hours. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. I am stumped and I am sick of spending $$$ on this JUNK.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

First thing is first, get a volt meter, and start checking for voltage presence at each point in the path. Check for voltage at the starter when the start button is hit. Also check for voltage going into the relay between the starter and battery. Usually when this clicking happens, the battery is not putting out enough voltage, or the ignition relay is toast. Both are easy fixes. Check the voltage of the battery as well. Even though it has a charge, it may not be a full 12V. 10 volts will turn on all of your lights, but give you nothing but a click when you try to start it.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Voltage was good (12.67V) at battery no load.
Voltage was good (12.44V) when key on and brake engaged. It did trickle down a little but was still like 12.36V when I tried starting it.
Voltage was good at starter (12.3V) when tried to start.

The engine tried to turn over like three times throughout my numerous attempts to get it to start. This all drained down battery a little so I thought I'd try charging it. Charged it back up ~12.8 volts. Then nothing but the clicking again. ????

Started checking resistance across some things. Not sure what to expect, but everyting from battery positive to battery side of solenoid was >1K ohms. Everything on other side of solenoid (to the starter side) was reading 0 ohms. Is the starter normally grounded? When I disconnected the wire going to the starter the resistance was only 0 ohms on the connector to the starter. Everywhere else was max resistance.

Stumped???? By the way the solenoid is also new.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

O yeah I forgot but THANK YOU for your help!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

I would pull your starter off, try to start it, and see if the starter is actually engaging as it should. The starters on these bikes are easy to kill. The 250 I have, I purchased used from a friend. The carb adjustment was off, making it hard to start, so they just kept overworking the starter trying to get the bike to start. I would get clicks from it, sometimes it sounded like it was struggling to turn over, or when I choked it, it wouldnt turn it over at all. The starter motor in this case was toast, the solenoid was fine. Rule out your starter motor as the potential problem. If you are getting 12V to the starter when you attempt to start it, your engine should be spinning over repeatedly when trying to start.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jairme11

I have replaced spark plug, replaced battery, disconnected rear kill switch and still only get a click when i try to turn atv over, if i bypass the entire starting system and hot wire from battery to starter it tries to turn over. This ATV has only been ridden tops 2 hours. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. I am stumped and I am sick of spending $$$ on this JUNK.</end quote></div>

what i'd like to know when you say it tries to turn over, do you mean it tries to start or the engine trying to turn over but has a difficult time? if the engine is not turning over even after hooking up the battery directly to the starter, what you need to do is remove the flywheel nut cover. it's the ovel cover on the left side of the engine case, insert a 14mm socket and try to turn the engine over the engine should turn over very freely. if it turns over freely then you have eaither a bad starter or starter clutch, if you can't turn the engine over freely with the socket then let me know and we're go from there. luvmysxs@yahoo.com

Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Just a thought. Sometimes the float needle in the carb will allow gas to leak past it and gas will get into the piston cylinder and create a hydro-lock. I have this problem sometimes with one of my quads if I forget to shut off the fuel valve and it sits for awhile. Check your oil too if this is your problem because it usually seeps past the rings into the oil as well.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK here's my update (unfortunately not good).
I started to get the ATV to turn over so I thought I'd shoot some ether into the spark plug and see if it was a gas problem. Nothing. Just (&$^#% click). Checked battery voltage (still about 12.4 V) throughout.

Tried the cranking the engine theory. Turned fairly free except in one spot. This was rough. But with a little bit of force it would roll though and then be turn free again. But kept hanging up in what seemed like the same spot. Tried starting again. CLICK!!!

OK now I'll try the starter. Pulled it off. Tried to turn it with it removed from the engine. No turn when I start the ATV. Turned it by hand, same as trying to crank over the engine, there was a rough section of the turning. Ripped into the starter and got pieces of black (I'm guessing carbon) pieces falling off. The rotor on the starter had some hard carbon clumps stuck to the coils (NORMAL?????) Also one of the pigtails on the stator has munched wires. Is this my problem???? Do I need to buy ANOTHER new part.

Haven't checked into the needle valve yet because the darn thing won't turn over now and the starter is in 2 pieces on the work bench.

PS appreciate all your guys help. Keep the ideas coming please and if you think (or know ) about the starter let me know please.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

still looking for help? any ideas? but the way my starter attahced to the bottom front of the engine however none of the replacement parts on line seem to appear to be the same, i.e. the ones that advertised to fit the bottom starter any ideas. This si a roketa ATV-40. THX again

Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Range Rover

just buy a complete starter and don't waste the time or effort trying to fix thr old one. they only make two differerant starters for the 50-125cc honda clones. one for the top of the engine and the other for the bottom, look on e-bay for the one you need, should cost around $30-35

Quick Reply: roketa atv 110 won't start need HELP