Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

no spark what is cdi box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark what is cdi box?

it is a 250 toa toa and im 15 years old and in city
no mech knowledge and i already rolled it
i read unplug black +white wire and cant find the cdi

P.S. no user's manual

Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

the cdi box is what tells the coil when to give juice to the spark plug

Old 11-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

what is your problem u dont state it in ur post will it not start will it try to start clairifie urself if u want help

Old 11-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

the problem with the tau tau is that the engine is not getting a spark and yet i just replaced the coil so i do not know what other problem it could be so i looked it up and it said something about the cdi. thank you guys for helping me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

so does any one have any idea what it could be????

Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

It could be a safety switch (if it has one), it could be the remote kill (if it has one), it could be a broken spark plug wire, it could be as simple as a bad spark plug. You have to ground the outer shell of the plug (aka - the threads) to the engine block in order to get any spark in any case. If you hold it in the air, it will not spark. I wasn't sure if you knew that.

1st thing that I would try is replacing the spark plug.
If that doesn't work, we can go from there. Is the plug wet when you pull it?

Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok good morning thank you for your help when we went to "play with " the tau tau i rolled it twice we bent the steering column and smashed the the kill switch, knocked off a few light and after the kill switch got smashed the tau tau ran then after going out to a small field behind my house the tau tau just died after getting hot do u think that when i went riding the kill switch got suck and that be the reason why the tau tau will not start? because i think that it is getting a spark however the i think that the kill switch as you said will not let it get the spark to start it

Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, with that kind of damage, any number of things could keep it from starting. The kill switch would ground out the ignition and stop the spark. Any ignition, switch or coil wire could have been smashed or yanked and may not be making proper contact. You might have blown a fuse due to some other issue as a result of your crashes.

A wire could have been dislocated, melted and then grounded out on a hot engine or exhaust component - causing your issue. I would take a good light and carefully follow every wire that you can see - looking for damage, a bare wire or a break. If you are able, remove the kill switch and look it over (internally if possible) to see if anything is missing, pulled off or broken.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

i replaced the coil but where is the fuse box i dont know where its at. tau tau brakes are terrible that is why it got rolled.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

It may not have a fuse "box" but may have 1 or more fuses in line to the battery. Follow the wire (Typically the red positive wire) from the battery and look for a small plastic casing attached to the wire. It is meant to hold a fuse - some use an automotive spade style fuse, but most use a cylindrical bus fuse.

Be sure to trace every wire you can find - checking them carefully.

Quick Reply: no spark what is cdi box?