Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chinese 110 Quad Won't Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese 110 Quad Won't Stay Running

Hi,

I bought a Chinese 110 Quad for my son last winter. It was running fine when we bought it but sat for about 6 months while he was away. When we tried starting it we noticed the plastic tank had a leak. I replaced it and changed the oil with Rotella SAE 15W40. It would start with the choke on (down) and run very sluggish for a while. Then, it just bogged out. It would take a long time to turn over and you had to keep the throttle openned up and the choke down. Then, once it started, you would have to put the choke up and keep it throttled just to keep it from dying. Soooo....I started to mess with the air/fuel screw and the idle pin but nothing seems to balance out. I can get it started but it just boggs out and dies. I even tore the carb apart and cleaned it (even though my inspection determined it wasn't really necessary). I checked the spark plug and it was pretty black so I assume it is running rich. I cleaned the plug and put it back in and I just can't seem to get it to stay running. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

Change the gas out if it has been sitting for 6 months, dump it out & add new gas. also you should never clean a spark plug unless you are stuck somewhere & can't replace it, I suggest buying a new one, cleaning one is a temporary fix only.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not an expert here but if you are not running your small engines for pro-long period you should treat your gas with Sta-Bil (fuel stabilizer) because gasoline turn bad as little as in a month's time.

The gas will gum up and clog your carb thus running very pool or even won't start, I use it on all my equipment (snowblower / lawn mower/ outboard motor etc) when off season or during storage.

Also, you should invest in a can of fogging oil (engine storage spray) to coat the engine to prevent corrosion.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

New gas and try cleaning the carb out.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You have a clogged carb. The idle circuit probably has gum in it. You need to take it apart and clean all the orifices and nedle valves etc. This is caused because of the Alcohol that is in our gas these days. It is Corn oil. Think about it, if you have ever left corn oil on a frying pan, it gets sticky. The same happens in the motor. Id also replace the fuel filter at the same time... Gas leak around the petcock? Probably due to the corrosive nature of the the alcohol when it sits. I have a suggestion. When you are done riding it, turn the gas off and let the engine run until it runs out of gas. It helps. Unfortunately, you are looking at a 400 to 500 dollar bill if you take it to a shop to do this work. The smaller the machines, the smaller the orifices, and they clog easier. Use teh stabil, but don't expect miracles with it either. You have to do your maintenence... By the way, you are not using oil designed for a diesel are you? Rotella I know of is diesel oil. Way too thick for a small motor like the ATV.