Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Splitting the case on Eton Viper

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 AM
JBL
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitting the case on Eton Viper

Any one with experience slitting this bad boy I've gone through everything BUT splitting the case and replacing the seals to get it running right. New piston,rings, gaskets, torn apart and cleaned carb. New fuel, filter, spark plug. Fires up no problems but once you give it gas it dies. Adjusted air/fuel mix all the way in through all the way out and no luck. Found a good spot but it Im only able to gas it maybe 1/8th throttle then wants to die. So nothing left but maybe air coming in from the crank case?? So I need help splitting the case, any special tools needed??

Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You cannot change the crank seals w/o splitting the cases?
If that's not it, maybe a stator/cdi issue. Is there rust/gunk on the stator?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
JBL
Trailblazer

LT80,

Thanks for your help and advice always. Splitting the case was something you advised in my previous post so Im clueless. Just came back from a shop where I plan on taking it and he said if I have good compression which I do (122lbs) Fires right up and stays Idle, then it should be the carb. Took it apart at least three times to clean it but what am I missing with cleaning? How do I set the float level? After I get it to temp, I pull the plug and it looks brand new, not black not white, grey but brand new! And thats after maybe 5-8 mins of just idleing. Weird???

Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Well, sometimes carbs go bad.
Sometimes the cases can leak air but is very rare.
I'd do the crank seals. I'd say test them first but at this point I'd just put new seals in.
A ideling motor don't put much color on a plug.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Might sound crazy but check the two wires going to the coil under the front hood..I just had a problem with ours and it had the same symptoms as you describe..It would start but would stall almost immediately after you touched the throttle...After checking some things I was sure it was ignition related and remembered having a problem with those wires being a little loose a couple of years ago..I gave them a wiggle and pushed on them and the bike fired right up and ran great...The last time we rode we got caught in a nasty rain storm and had to ride about an hour to get home so the bike was thoroughly soaked..Then it sat for over a month in the cold garage so it may have started to get a little corrosion going on those two wires which are right up front..

Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is a long shot, but sometimes loss of power and bad throttle response is caused by debris caught in the spark arrestor screen in the exhaust. You might try cleaning that out.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Now that is a good idea..pipes do get plugged.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 PM
JBL
Trailblazer

I took the quad to a local shop with it running/idleing plus good compression 122lbs. They called be back saying they could not get it running and when they checked the compression it dropped down to 85lbs. Im pissed!!! Suckers said the mechanic has over 30 years experience! I should have known better. I trused them after they rebuilt my blaster but Im going to pick up the quad and give them hell. Thank God I still have a spare piston/rings to rebuild and get the comp back up. I've found a shop in Fresno Ca, and he is very knowledgable and says to check the crank seal (like you said LT80) also to check the reeds. He's found them torn/desintegrated so that could be it too. Also will repack the muffler and double check all the wiring. Also gonna pull the petcock off and make sure nothing is in there! If it is the crank seals, its gonna cost way too much to fix this quad. My son is probably on his last season with this and will graduate to a blaster. I've found several on Craigslist as low as $600 and nice ones for $1000. I'll keep you all posted. I need a quad for him regardless by Dec 5-7 for our first trip to Glamis!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems with my kids 05 vipers 90r 4cycle had it back to the dealer new plug drain carb blah blah blah still ran like crap when it was above idle and wanted to die. Took it to a small shop by me and he adjusted the choke and carb and it's been fine for two plus years it was mostly a choke adjustment.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 PM
JBL
Trailblazer

Great News!!! Thanks to Al at MidCal Motorsports in Fresno Ca, got the baby running again!!! He was the only mechanic who diagnosed my problem over the phone. I dont have to split the CASE!!! The problem which Al suggested it be was deteriorated reeds! He said he's seen them completely missing after a rebuild. So I took mine off and low and behold one of the reeds was completely gone. Just a portion left so it must have just torn! Al quickly shipped me another and installed it today and were all good to go!!! Well I hope so. Its got a new top end so I have to go through the correct process in braking it in. But I must say, I give it gas and it wants to take off like before. Also has new roller weights, spring, and high rev CDI so if anything, I should be able to pop wheelies on asphalt with this thing once broke in!!! I'll keep you guys posted and thanks to all for your inputs!