Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chinese 110 clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008 | 05:37 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Chinese 110 clutch replacement

My son's quad recently had gotten the axle in a bind against the brakes. I cleared this issue, but it appears my son's "keep hammering the throttle, and it will go eventually" method has cooked the clutch.

Are the clutches in these easy to replace? With some of these chinese models being basically "disposable ATV"s, is it even worth the trouble to replace?

Old 11-23-2008 | 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't have any trouble replacing mine. You just have to replace the pressure plates. Just pay attention to every part you take off so you can put it back on correctly. Drain the oil first. Be careful with the gasket and you can reuse it or use a gasket compound. This link shows what you probably need. Two B plates and One A plate. You can take yours apart to make sure. http://www.goscoot.com/parts_meerkat50_clutch.asp

It's been about 10 months since I bought my parts but I got each plate for 11 dollars. Just do a search on the internet for China quad parts.

Old 11-23-2008 | 08:07 PM
|
Range Rover

Do you (or anyone) have any documentation as to how these things go back together? I pulled the side of the case off, and a few small pieces just kinda fell out. I want to make sure I get everything back together as it came off so I dont have any issues once I have the replacement parts.

Old 11-23-2008 | 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

I saw a diagram once but can't find it now. The parts that fell out are probably what that little adjusting bolt was holding in. A spring and a cap on the spring.

Old 11-24-2008 | 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

no intention to hijack the thread, but when you say "bind the axle" against the brake... would that be similar to the rear disk being locked up? My son's 110 will not roll. I assume if he had kept giving it throttle, it would have burned up the clutch, but I stopped him before it happened. Any tips on how to get the brake to release (or to unbind the axle)?

Old 11-24-2008 | 03:11 PM
|
Range Rover

My son's ATV has but one brake, and that is a rear disc. The way the brake assembly was mounted, made it easy for one of the pads to fall out. This had happened before, and he had NO brakes in the middle of a ride. I installed new pads, and that lasted for roughly 3 months (we ride just about every weekend, roughly two hours per ride). One of the pads fell again, but only dropped slightly, causing the inner portion of of the bolts holding on the disc, to bind against the pad. This would allow the axle to turn just under a complete rotation in each direction.

By the time I had gotten the quad back to the house and looked into what was causing the bind, the clutch was toast. I remounted the brake assembly, offsetting it with a few washers so the pad wouldn't ever drop again. I got it all back together, fired it up, and the clutch wouldnt even move the quad with no one on it. I tried changing the oil, thinking maybe the oil was now full of ground up clutch fiber, but no dice.

Ive been looking for a shop manual for these 110cc quads, and only been able to find a Kazuma manual for $53. If anyone knows where I can download a PDF of the manual, like can be done for just about any Japanese quad, PLEASE let me know.

Old 11-24-2008 | 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

I've had the same problem with the brake pad falling out. I just slightly bent the pad ears to prevent it from falling again.

On one of my quads the brake will lock up on the disc. I can rock it back and forth till it breaks free. I haven't see what causes it.

Old 11-24-2008 | 08:05 PM
|
Range Rover

Another question woodchuckie (or any other person that may be able to answer), how does the clutch come off?

Below I have embedded a photo of the engine side. I am not sure if I need to remove the 4 phillips head screws (labeled "A") or the bolt in the center of the clutch (labeled "B"). I have tried removing both, and neither are wanting to budge. I could feel the 4 screws begin to strip a lil, as the metal isnt very strong, and they seem to be in tight. With the center bolt, I cant seem to hold the engine crank still enough to break it loose. If I know how this comes off, I can go the extra mile (strap wrench to hold the clutch while I remove the center bolt, or break out the vise-grips for the 4 screws) to get the job done, whichever route (A or B) is correct.

Name:  clutch.jpg
Views: 13977
Size:  97.6 KB

Old 11-24-2008 | 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

I finally found the site where I saw the diagrams. http://www.loncin.ca/schematic...delID=2&SchematicID=6

They have schematics for other parts also.

http://www.loncin.ca/parts.aspx

The center shaft nut is what holds the clutch on the shaft. It may help to remove what I seem to remember is a bearing cover around the shaft. The Phillips screws are removed to take the clutch housing apart. I remember breathing a sigh of relieve when I was able to break them loose without stripping the head out. Here's another site for parts and the pic shows the clutch off the shaft.

http://www.racewayatv.com/part...10-clutch-assembly.php

Old 11-25-2008 | 12:04 AM
|
Range Rover

Excellent! That helps quite a bit. I will just have to get a strap wrench or something to hold it still while I break loose the center nut. There was indeed a bearing covering it, but I slid it out. Thanks much!

Quick Reply: Chinese 110 clutch replacement