Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

08' Yamaha Grizzly 80 or 07 Arctic-Cat 90

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08' Yamaha Grizzly 80 or 07 Arctic-Cat 90

Hello everyone! I'm looking to buy my six year old an ATV an I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha Grizzly 80 and Arctic-Cat 90. I've gotten an out of door quote on both vechicles. I can get the grizzly for $2600 even and the Arctic-Cat for $2225. I would've preferred an 08 arctic cat as opposed to the 07 but my local dealer didn't want to budge on the 08. I had to search another dealer about 60 miles from me and all he has are a few 07s. That's why that price is as low as it is. I already have a Yamaha Card and could take advantage of the zero for six months. It'll be paid off by then. I think AC has a similar offer with financing but I would have to apply for their card which shouldn't be a problem I'm just curious as to what you guys think is the better ATV.

I like the grizzly because it's shaft driven as opposed to chain driven but I like the AC because its CVT Automatic. No shifting like the Grizzly three speed. Plus the AC is almost $400 cheaper but also is a year older even though it's unused.
Thanks

Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

i go with the ac 90 she won't get bored so fast with th ac she might get to use to the Yamaha Grizzly 80 plus the ac is a all around better bike but did you look at the bikes on this site www.giovannibikes.com there might be some bikes on there you might like but i would go with the arictic-cat 90 if your set on grizzy or the Arctic-Cat

Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well, your getting more bike for the money with a 90cc Artic Cat. It might last him longer. Granted were only talking about 10cc's here so maybe not. When I think back to my first bike though (a little yamaha 50cc dirt bike) I don't know that shifting at 6 is something I could have done. The automatic might make it easier.

That being said, I think the grizzly looks sharper than the Artic Cat, and it would match your bike better.

I think for me it would come down to which one do you feel safer, putting your 6 year old on? Both have throttle limiters, so you can make sure he is not going to fast. But which one comes with more overall features? Are either one of these coming with Helmets & safety devices with the sale?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wilfredjohnson

i go with the ac 90 she won't get bored so fast with th ac she might get to use to the Yamaha Grizzly 80 plus the ac is a all around better bike but did you look at the bikes on this site www.giovannibikes.com there might be some bikes on there you might like but i would go with the arictic-cat 90 if your set on grizzy or the Arctic-Cat</end quote></div>

Thanks for the link but I would rather buy from a major manufactor. Yamaha, Honda, Polaris, AC, etc.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SpiritOne

Well, your getting more bike for the money with a 90cc Artic Cat. It might last him longer. Granted were only talking about 10cc's here so maybe not. When I think back to my first bike though (a little yamaha 50cc dirt bike) I don't know that shifting at 6 is something I could have done. The automatic might make it easier.

That being said, I think the grizzly looks sharper than the Artic Cat, and it would match your bike better.

I think for me it would come down to which one do you feel safer, putting your 6 year old on? Both have throttle limiters, so you can make sure he is not going to fast. But which one comes with more overall features? Are either one of these coming with Helmets & safety devices with the sale?</end quote></div>

Nah neither comes with the safety equipment. He has a helmet already because my 12 year old has a Big Bear and I sometimes give him rides on it. He can drive it himself if I put it in 4th gear for him and I ride on the back. I'll probably buy him a new helmet that matches though. I was told with the grizzly that when it's governed down enough you can drive it in 1st and 2nd gear without having to shift. Like I said I put the BigBear 250 in 4th and he rides it. And as he gets a little more experience you can add more throttle.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

70cc DRR..
They can be made into a 90cc when he needs it.
At 6, I'm a lil afraid for him on a 90.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

We've decided on the Grizzly 80. I took him by the dealer yesterday and let him sit on and get a feel for the Grizzly and a 09 raptor 90. The raptor was automatic but he likes the grizzly the best. He showed me that he could shift gears if he had to and could also easily squeeze the breaks. I'll pick it up Saturday.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LT80

70cc DRR..

At 6, I'm a lil afraid for him on a 90.</end quote></div>

Your kidding right? Your suppose to say,"LT80 all the way!" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Honestly, that DRR/DRX 70 is just a tad bit a little aggressive for a six year old. IMO

Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your right. The 70 is aggressive. Good thing he chose the Yam then eh..LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I'd rather see him on a 50 personally but he's set on a 80/90 for the lad.
Just curious. As the rider sits on the machine, is his feet on the pegs with knees bent?
I gotta give it to the ATVA on kids age and machine size requirements. It really makes sence.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LT80

70cc DRR..

At 6, I'm a lil afraid for him on a 90.</end quote></div>

That was my initial reaction as well. I wouldn't put my 6 year old on a 90cc bike with any amount of throttle regulation. In fact, I am just starting to look into a 90 for my son now, and he is 10, it will be his first quad.

But, my feelings aside, its his kid. And one thing I have learned about being a parent in scouting, you can preach till you are blue in the face, but if another parent wants to do something with their kids their way, there is nothing you can do about it. Would I put a 6 year old on a 90? Nope. But I know other people that wouldn't let any child on any atv, at any age. So whats the difference?

Quick Reply: 08' Yamaha Grizzly 80 or 07 Arctic-Cat 90