Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired

I recently acquired a used 48cc chinese quad for free. It didn't run, but I am working on it.

I pulled all the wiring loose to figure out why the start button didn't work. There were a pair of blue wires going to the rear of the quad that were just broken off. I originally thought they were for the brake light (which is missing), but I determined that they were part of the solenoid circuit, and power has to be introduced somewhere in that circuit to power the electric magnet for the solenoid. I hooked those wires, and the main battery leads to my car battery (original battery was swollen...dead...I have a replacement on order) and the starter system is now working.

I put some gas in it, and tried to crank it w/o luck. I now have the carb completely apart and soaking. I'll get it back together in the next few days....I'm also waiting for a new float bowl gasket.

I'm also cleaning the air filter and using my K&N recharge kit on it.

I got a new spark plug, and can see a spark, so I should be good there.

I don't have any kind of manual for this thing. Does anybody know what this red switch is for? Does anybody know where I can get a free PDF manual for one of these things?

Name:  PC080204.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  69.6 KB

Sorry for taking so long to get to my question, but I may have more questions. I wanted to get the back story out of the way.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

the red switch is run/off. if I see it right its on run. a 50cc with hyd. brakes WOW

Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

It has the single disc brake on the back axle, and that's it...no brakes up front.

So, the red switch is a kind of kill switch? The starter system works w/ it in either position.

Here are some more pics of the work in progress:

Before I tore the carb apart
Name:  PC080200.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  55.7 KB
Name:  PC080203.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  105.1 KB

Carb torn apart...after a whole can of spray carb cleaner...not clean enough, so it's soaking in parts cleaner now.
Name:  PC090203.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  56.7 KB

A few more questions:

1. Motor oil...I want to change it...can I use the Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 that I already have? I also have some John Deer (I think it's 10W-30) oil for mowers/small engines.

2. Approximately how much oil do these engines require?

3. Where do you fill it up at? At the dipstick?

4. Is there any kind of oil filter or screen on these engines? If so, where is it located?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have a red cat 50. that seems to have the same honda 50 replica. my starter does ingage with the switch in run/off to. it just wount start in off pos. dont ever use syn. oil. use any other. I use penzoil 10w30. same as my truck uses. as for amount. its right around 1QT. yes you fill it at the dipstick . drain oil out the bottom plug. as for the oil filter. it is a screen and I think the only to change it is to split the case. it screens the oil as it drains out

Old 12-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool beans. I'll use some regular 10W-30 then. I'm not ready to split the case, so I'll let the screen be.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

i noticed you didn't say anything about changing the fuel filter out. If you haven't then you should definitely do so because the carb on the little chinese units get clogged really easily.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

X2

Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't mention it, but I did replace the fuel line and filter w/ some stuff from the auto parts store. They didn't have the same thin fuel line that came on the quad, but I got some much thicker stuff (same I.D., though).

Seeing as how I took the time and expense to completely re-do the carb (my 1st carb btw), I wanted to make sure the entire fuel delivery system was in top-notch condition. Thanks for your concern, though.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Pardon my stupidity,but are you sure its a Chineses bike? Im just asking because that carb is not standard on a 49.5cc Chineses quad. First hint would be the brass float. Since when does the Chinese pass up plastic for brass?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Then again, after looking at it, maybe it is plastic.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

looks the same as mine. brass inside

Quick Reply: Understanding the used 48cc chinese quad I just acquired