Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

update to avanti 125 (typhoon knock-off)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update to avanti 125 (typhoon knock-off)

Had the quad for a week now , enough time to post an opinion. I bought it for my 10 year old son and he loves it. So far the only problem I have had is a typical one for a chinese quad the exhaust pipe came loose from the engine but a couple lock washers and new nuts takes care of that. On to the performance- I am 6'1" and weigh 240 pounds have been riding mx since age 5. This quad is pretty awesome
it is 4 speed and the first three are pretty low but if you shift quick you can get up to speed in no time. Even with my large frame I can throw this thing into a turn at just about full throttle and it responds! It is extra wide for a kids quad and gives no indication of wanting to roll over. So far I am very impressed. I will give another update in a week or so.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had one since early spring for my son. It has held up pretty good so far. Watch the ground clearence on it. My son hit a rock with it and the brake stay got bent up, managed to lose the brake pads from that. I'm getting a skid plate made up for the swingarm to stop that from happening again. Otherwise we like it. Power is good, moves me around with no problems.Also watch the front suspenion, some of the nuts and bolts will come loose. I check that before each ride! I also checked the valve clearance(.004 for both), it was loose from factory. That gave it alittle more power. Overall we are happy with the quad.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Weekend warrior,
I noticed the ground clearance was low I was thinking about putting some larger tires all around and the rear breaks have a large steel plate right next to the disk
I'm not sure if that is a new thing? Other than that I have had to to replace the exhaust nuts and a spindle nut. I loctite things as I notice them loose. Some people
do all of them right out of the box.
Do you have the clutch or semi-auto?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

We have a manual clutch, which is holding up really good (teaching an 8 year old to use it got me nervous). Once I thought about it alittle more I had to get new nuts for the head pipe too. Also the nerfs came loose in the front. Ours has an aluminum piece next to the back brakes, thats the part that bent. I loctite as I go too. The motor uses Honda parts, not sure what years though. The shop that I got it from races one and knows what parts to get. Haven't needed any yet but might build the motor slightly over the winter. I want to put taller tires on and maybe higher gearing. First gear is useless with the gearing it has.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

You're right about the piece being aluminum. About the gearing: on another forum I read where someone put a new front sprocket with I think one more tooth and he said it made a huge difference. My son will be 10 the end of december and it was a bit challenging teaching him to use a clutch but he picked it up pretty quick, still
having a bit of difficulty remembering to pull in the clutch when he stops.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

My son tends to forget when we first go out. He'll hop on it, start it, then put it in gear, and yell dad it keeps stalling.My son is 9 and it took alittle time to teach him but he got it.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey ftm400,

I just thought I'd let you know about the new sprocket. I replaced the 14 with a 15
tooth on my sons 125 what a difference. 1st and 2nd are still slightly low and I instantly thought I should have went ahead and got the 16 tooth until I got into third and forth gear I believe but not sure until I clock it but I would guess it added about
10mph or more. I don't think my wife is going to be too happy. Have you had any trouble with the clutch return spring or cable ? Ours returns very slowly and still
has a slight bit of slack. Also watch the rear sprocket hub I had to loosen the chain to install the new front sprocket and noticed the rear hub wearing on the swing arm
it seems that is what is keeping the axle in place.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 125 typhoon / Avanti Scout/ SSR125

Hey they are great little bikes. I am 200 lbs and road one for about a year. The weakest link of the whole bike is the rear chain adjusters and the bearings. SSR can get you parts for it. Look them up. I was having a difficult time finding stuff until i found the SSR site. THey even called me back to ask what went wrong to cause me to need the parts and are in touch with the factory in china. My next chinese ATV will be from SSR!