Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

BMX Generic Chinese Quad Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009 | 10:52 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default BMX Generic Chinese Quad Question

I have had this quad sitting in the garage for 1.5 years now. Decided to get it started. It's a generic 70cc Chinese quad. Yellow camo BMX. ...

Cleaned carb completely. Needle moved all the way up. air/mixture 2 turns out. Not sure about how many turns out to start idle screw???? Replaced fuel lines and fuel filter. Plug looked good, but will put a new one in this week. Need to change oil. New battery. I had previously installed a battery kill switch, because i think it had a parasitic drain through the "alarm system".

So I get it started and it will not idle. Runs good up on the stand when using the throttle. How many turns out should I start with on the idle screw? I did change the throttle cable adjustment length with the inline adjuster. Just tightened it up a bit. Also lengthen the fuel line a bit when replaced.

Next odd thing. Battery will only start or turn the motor over when battery is up around 12.5 volts. It will not move the motor at all when the battery is at 12 volts? Any suggestions? Can the "alarm system" be deactivated?

I appreciate any input that you guys are able to contribute. Thanks

Old 01-07-2009 | 11:55 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I see that the idle screw should possible start about half way out. Correct?

Old 01-08-2009 | 11:33 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DAD123
[...snip...]
Next odd thing. Battery will only start or turn the motor over when battery is up around 12.5 volts. It will not move the motor at all when the battery is at 12 volts? Any suggestions? Can the "alarm system" be deactivated?
[...snip...]
</end quote></div>

The observation that the starter turns at 12.5 volts but not 12 volts doesn't make sense. Are you measuring the battery voltage while attempting to crank? That is when you should be measuring it.

On 110cc quads the remote start/alarm system can simply be unplugged. Yours is probably the same. But it changes the way it works a little: When unplugged the engine cannot be turned off with the ignition key. You have to turn it off with the handlebar kill switch. Also, the remote start bypasses the brake switch safety interlock. To start without the remote you will need to depress the brake before it will crank.

Old 01-08-2009 | 11:46 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I know, doesn't make sense. I put a meter on the battery before trying to start quad and it was 12.5 or greater. Then attempted to start quad until battery seemed completely run down. It would not turn the quad at all. I then put a meter on the battery and it read 12 volts.

12 volts on a 12 volt system should start the quad?

I'll have to see if I can find the alarm mechanism to unplug. What's it look like? We do not use the remote anyways.

Old 01-08-2009 | 08:27 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

ok, worked on it today. it's running good. what did i do?

1. disconnected alarm/remote control. the battery was diving to 10 volts when trying to start up the quad with that system installed. I haven't checked volts again yet, but quad starts fine every time now.

2. shortened the new fuel line. thought maybe the little carb couldn't pull the gas the extra length and "uphill". also zip tied the fuel line to the carb very tight. it seemed loose, maybe sucking just a bit of air. also took the freshly cleaned carb back apart and blew it out with air compressor here at home which is cleaner than the one at work i used before. re-seat jets gently as opposed to firm.

3. the plastic piece between carb and intake fits any which way you put it on there. BUT, the hole only lines up one way. i had it upside down which blocked 25% of the flow out of carb into engine.

4. New NGK plug gapped at .28-.30

5. still have to change the oil

6. still have to wire in a regular head light pigtail. 1156, i think that's a single filiment. no sense in trying to keep replacing these crappy bulbs.

7. would really like to get the wheel spacers. this thing is too tippy for a 5yo.

8. air/mixture screw is 1 3/4 out

9. idle screw is 3 or 3.5 turns out.

10. with the alarm system disconnected i was able to un-install the battery kill switch that i had to put previously. the connection on the old switch were not the best from wear over time. i also changed out the battery cable terminals. made very good connections.

i hope this helps someone else.