Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE

Hi all im a newbie to this forum. I have a meerkat 50cc quad ,was given it by a friend as a non runner. The quad was laid up for a few months and failed to start again .The quad has no spark (no voltage coming down the ht leed) I have disconected the kill switch,still no spark.This may be a supid question but wheres the cdi located,iv seen a picture of 1 on a spares site ,but cant see 1 on the quad
many thanks in advance,Jonnny

Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jonnny
.. I have disconected the kill switch,still no spark....
... wheres the cdi located...</end quote></div>

There is more than one kill switch, any one of which can kill the spark. Plus a ground anywhere in the kill switch wiring (very common) will also prevent spark. The only way to eliminate kill switch problems (without measuring stuff with a meter) is to disconnect the kill switch wire right at the CDI. But you say you can't find the CDI. Therefore I don't think you have eliminated the kill switch circuitry quite yet.

My quad has 3 kill switches: Left handlebar, Ignition switch, and tether pull cord.

I don't know where the CDI is on your quad, but on mine it is up under the gas tank toward the front near the handlebar steering column. Usually the CDI connector shell is green on your sized quad.

Check out the following thread for helpful info with your problem:

No spark help (way down the thread eventually)

The stuff you are interested in is way down this thread, which got way off topic from its original subject line. Look for a picture of your CDI, and be sure to visit the "no spark" link listed by NTRUDEAU in a message directly above.

Lynn Edwards

Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP PLEASE

Hi Lynn ,Ihave found the cdi,have disconected the black wire.Still have no spark, but a small amount of voltage coming down the ht leed(less than 1/2 a volt).Do you thinkk the cdi could be faulty? Many thanks ,Jonnny

Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE

The way to check for spark is to remove the spark plug, hold the plug threads against the engine block, and crank the engine with the high tension lead hooked up. You should see a fat blue spark.

You cannot measure the high tension lead, or the primary side of the igntion coil with a voltmeter. The voltages are in very shorts bursts at very high frequencies around 30 kilohertz AC. Meters are designed for measuring 50 or 60 hertz power. You can also damage your meter by trying to measure the high tension side of the ignition coil. 20,000 volts can arc across traces inside the meter and destroy any semiconductors in its path.

The first thing to do is make sure you really have a "no spark" problem by looking for a spark as described above. Assuming you do then do the tests in the link I posted in my last message. These tests will verify that the two stator windings (and associated wiring) necessary for igntion are working. The battery charge winding on the stator is a completely separate issue, and unrelated to any ignition problems.

If you decide to try changing the CDI, eBay is a good place to get one. I just bought one last week for $9.00 including shipping. You can also get ignition coils there as well.

Lynn Edwards

Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default HELP PLEASE

Did you get the 50cc running yet?