Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

1998 Honda TRX90 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Honda TRX90 - Questions

Ok, so I bought this TRX90, it runs doesn't smoke or anything, look like it is in decent shape. It was missing a seat (flew off while being driven in the back of the truck), so I bought an OEM replacement. Its coming from the original owner who claims it was always ridden by a child and 90% of that riding was on his property (farm type area).

I am planning on taking it up to the Honda shop and letting them do a look over and change the oil and make sure its ok. I trust them up there, good folks (even if their new unit prices are a tad higher than the dealer 45 miles away). What I want to know is, what should I be looking at and what should I tell them to look at specifically? Is there an hour meter on this bike somewhere?

Is there another question Im not asking I should be asking?

I still have to pick it up, Im going to clean up the plastic as best as i can. Get my son a Helmet and start teaching him how to ride.

thanks in advance folks.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's about as simple and bulletproof machine as you can get.

Probably your best bet is to have a casual chat with the service manager and see what they recomend and what it will cost. Most places will do a basic check for under $100. Offhand the things to check out would be:

Carb cleaning and adjustment
Air filter
oil
chain and sprocket wear
front and rear brakes

The TRX90 is very cold blooded - taking about 5 minutes or more of choke play before it really starts to run. A slightly hotter plug helps that somewhat. The drum brakes don't seal very well if you are trailriding through mud and wet. We added a full length skidplate and it works great - the little TRX goes almost anywhere that our big 4x4's can go - only getting stuck when it gets high centered.

Good luck with it.