Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2003 Bombardier DS50 lost spark

Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Bombardier DS50 lost spark

We have a 2003 Bombardier DS 50. We were out riding one day and everything was fine. Got the quad out the next day and it wouldnt start. Turned out it had no spark. I checked all the wires and the kill switch and even disconnected the killswitch but could not get a spark. I ordered and replaced the CDI and still no spark. I am at a total loss here. Does anyone know what may be wrong?

Robert

Old 09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

did you by pass kill switch by disconnecting wire the using jumper wire to reconnect them together if not your only killing the engin by disconnecting it

Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Try running a extra ground wire from the frame to the motor.
Possibly a stator issue. Do a ohm test on it. You dealer should be able to tell you what ohm resistance you should have.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer

I don't see anywhere that you said you tried a new spark plug. I always try the easy stuff first. I had this exact thing happen on a 250R. Since it was running so strong the day before I never suspected the spark plug. Took it to the shop.....that was an expensive spark plug that time.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Spark plug.. Ya just never know! Good call.
A guy calls me up and went on and on about his LT not starting, hard to turn over,blah blah..Here his new plug was bad. I still don't understand why he explained problem after problem,,but a new plug fixxed it.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Robert,

Assuming you've checked the basics (key inigition, kill switch is not grounded, fuses etc.) Grab a multimeter and set it to A/C. Put your positive terminal on the orange wire going into the coil and your negative terminal some where to the frame. Crank the enging over and see if you get a reading. If you do you have either a bad coil or your spark plug is bad. If you get no signal put the multimeter positive terminal in the black and red wire going into the cdi unit and black terminal to ground (frame). Crank the engine again, you should see around 40 or more volts a/c. If you don't you probably have a bad stator.

I have the shop manual for ds50/ds90 if you need.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with mine, Was an easy fix! (The black CDI) box in the front of the bike under the black cover near the coil is bad it cost about 80.00 and your bike will start right up.

Chris-

Old 10-01-2019, 03:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by verl
Hi Robert,

Assuming you've checked the basics (key inigition, kill switch is not grounded, fuses etc.) Grab a multimeter and set it to A/C. Put your positive terminal on the orange wire going into the coil and your negative terminal some where to the frame. Crank the enging over and see if you get a reading. If you do you have either a bad coil or your spark plug is bad. If you get no signal put the multimeter positive terminal in the black and red wire going into the cdi unit and black terminal to ground (frame). Crank the engine again, you should see around 40 or more volts a/c. If you don't you probably have a bad stator.

I have the shop manual for ds50/ds90 if you need.
I could really use one of those

Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Manual hi i

[QUOTE=verl;2845767]Hi Robert,

I have the shop manual for ds50/ds90 if you ne

Old 01-09-2020, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Manual

Hi im having similar issues! Could i see your manual for the ds50 please?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Bombardier DS50 lost spark