Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

lil reed on top of the bigger.
I think it's in the carb. Maybe something got in the pilot jet.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jack. I've been thinking about it all morning and I do agree. It ran fine before taking it apart so I did not clean the carb. I'm thinking some debris got in there while working on it. I should be able to get it off and cleaned up tomorrow and see what's up then. I sure appreciate the help!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

so tomorrow meaning sunday or saturday? lol, it's saturday here. I'm curious as to your problem, I've taken all my carbs apart and never had an issue even on both of the 4 stroke mini's I don't have anymore...

not sure but I'd start with the jet. did you make sure the 90 wasn't clogged before putting it in? I shoot carb cleaner thru the main passage (straight hole only) then cover one side of the main and shoot out the sides and make sure all are clear... just a thought... even if it's new, stuff happens. if it bogs when given gas it's clearly not pilot jet.. did you fill the carb bowl with premix after the oil block? I use my hose from the tank to just fill the bowl before I put it back on... I plugged my vacuum line and run the petcock on prime when riding and on when not in use. I plugged both sides of the vacuum line... not sure what else I'd check but that would be a start. make sure it's getting oil in there and not super rich. the jet size may have something to do with it. if you can just swap jets back and see what happens may be worth a shot.

when I pull the carb, I unscrew the throttle side unbolt it from the mani and pull fuel hose only takes like 5 minutes to do that and open it...

Old 03-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

anybody have any ideas why im only getting 21mph w/ the 13/26 combo? how far up on the face should my belt ride? would this have anything to do w/ top end if its only going a little ways up?

Old 03-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

it has everything to do with it... look at a bicycle. the big front small rear makes high end, small front large back means low end, when the front side rides in the middle and the rear is high that is where you start. when moving/speeding up hitting rpms the rollers cause the variator to move the pulley and the clutch allows the belt to go to the middle and you get more top speed. probably not the best explanation but that's how it works. the best I can explain it off the top of my head. it works EXACTLY like a moped belt driven setup. rollers and all... I haven't torn into one in YEARs tho, and when I did I was a teen and it was only a few times so I don't recall nearly any of it except what mods I did and I'm not sure if they can be done to this CVT, but I am looking into it. getting the front variator to pull very close together to have the belt ride as high as possible has everything to do with top speed regardless of final gear ratios... once you hit the limit rpm you can go to and remain at will have a direct effect on top speed when the gear is as high as it can go.

thus Jacks 12krpm motors being such beasts. I heard from a little birdie somewhere "read a post on the net actually" some LT80 built by him maybe even his has done 60mph... high gearing, tall tires, and very high rpm capabilities would let it go it's best as far as I'm concerned for top speed... highest final gear ratio possible + highest possible rpm = highest possible speed. it WILL need the power to get it to that speed but from the mods to get it to said rpm power should not be an issue... at least not from where I look at it.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

so what can i do to make the belt ride a little higher, or what do i need to check to make sure its riding where its supposed to ride.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer

For top speed you will want all of the rollers in the front clutch. I would imagine where the belt rides in the rear clutch is controlled by the torsion spring, maybe it's weak? One tip I read about recently is to use a sharpie marker and mark the faces of the clutches. Then take it out for a ride so the belt wears off the marker where it rides. Then you can tell if you are having a problem with one of them. I also believe in that post I read that lt80 said to take off slowly and work it up to top speed. Hope that helps you. I hope today, Sunday, I can get my carb cleaned out.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

I was thinking about soaking the carb overnight, but I don't have a parts cleaner. What kind of soution would be good to soak a carb in to remove gunk? Would mineral spirits do it? Kerosene? What do they put in those parts washer machines? I really don't need anything fancy as I don't do this much. Thought I woul put the carb in some solution sealed in a clean 1 gallow paint can.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by moetrout
I was thinking about soaking the carb overnight, but I don't have a parts cleaner. What kind of soution would be good to soak a carb in to remove gunk? Would mineral spirits do it? Kerosene? What do they put in those parts washer machines? I really don't need anything fancy as I don't do this much. Thought I woul put the carb in some solution sealed in a clean 1 gallow paint can.
go to advance or auto zone & tell them you need to soak your carb overnight. i forget the exact name, but it comes in a gallon can & has a handle w/ a holding tray to lower your parts in. then boil it in distilled water for about 20-30min. make sure to take out all your jets & needles (any rubber also). then spray it out until dry w/ air hose. this should get it as clean as its gonna get!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

What does the boiling do? Is it not clean when it comes out of the basket?

Quick Reply: lt80 chain tensioner