Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help, steering is too tight!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, steering is too tight!!

Hey all!! My husband and I just got a used 2007 110cc quad (don't know what brand, but he said it uses Honda parts) for our kids. Neither of us know alot about the mechanics of these things. As far as we can tell, it was in pretty good shape. We had to stiffen the shocks a bit, that was easy enough. The steering is really tight, and we thought that would be easy as well, but it's becoming a hassle. I'm assuming the right method to loosening it was loosening the nut at the bottom of the steering column (sorry if I'm not using the right terminology - told you I don't know much haha!) So we did that, and it freed it up a little bit, but it's not nearly as loose as it should be. My husband said he thought it may be because of these one parts that kind of look like rubber UFOs (haha sorry only thing I can think of right now ) that are somewhere in between the steering column and the wheels. Maybe boots of some sort, or maybe a tie rod?? He said he thought they were supposed to be greased, and they are like bone dry. If you know what part I'm talking about, would greasing that up a bit help?? I need to get this done before Christmas since it's a Christmas present, so ANY info on how to loosen this steering up more would help a ton! Thanks a lot!!!

Here is a link to a site I found that has the same exact quad we have.
Small 110cc Kids ATV's for Sale | Perfect For Kids ages 5+

Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default steering

There are only so many steering components on a quad. I am not at all familiar with the quad of which you are speaking, but with most full size quads. The handlebars come down into a bearing. On the steering column there are two attachments for the tie rods. The tie rod ends are not able to be greased...but are relatively cheap if you really think that is where the problem is. The tie rods run out to the hubs which may have a grease fitting. The tie rod ends are rubberized and should have some play in them...if there is too much, it will just fall in two pieces. I would suggest checking everything over and see if there are grease fittings. Spraying everything down with some wd 40 or something of that sort will not hurt a thing! Good Luck and Merry Christmas to whoever is getting started in this awesome hobby!!
Mudslinger2

Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks a lot!

Okay, so the piece I was talking about must not be a tie rod haha. I think I'll just try spraying WD-40 on every joint down there and see where that gets me haha. I think maybe it had just been a while since the previous owner used it. If I spray the WD-40 up into the steering column, that won't do any damage to anything right?? I think I'll just do it anyway because I looked up steering columns and they're pretty cheap, so if I end up having to replace it, oh well. Thank you so much for your response! And yes, I believe my kids will have a VERY merry Christmas after getting this!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Trailblazer

Sometimes you have to be a little sly with dealer. You could call the place you referenced on the web. Ask them if they sell parts for the quad and then once the parts guy is on the phone tell him the situation. These little quads are pretty simple so he may just walk you through what it takes to fix it.

Just a thought.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Default Diagram

I have tried to attach a diagram of what the steering looks like on my Big Bear. You may actually have to copy it and paste it into the internet...basically as long as you arent spraying down any electronics or the hand grips you will be good to spray it all down. Did you find any grease fittings? I was reading through your introduction post and see that you are from Ohio. Where at in Ohio? I am from south central Ohio (Washington Court House) just like meeting people with the same interests. Good Luck.
Mudslinger2

OEM Parts Yamaha Big Bear 400 4WD 4S151 (YFM40FBXR) 2008 STEERING - Cheap Cycle Parts

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fellow Ohioan

Oh thanks a lot! That diagram will help I'm sure...now that I know what the pieces are called haha! We didn't get a change to Wd-40 it yet, the hubby got home too late to do it last night. We're from northwest Ohio, near Bowling Green and Findlay. Hey since you're from Ohio too, I was reading on here that you're supposed to change your oil to one that will do better in the cold for winter riding. What oil do you use during the winter?? Seems to do alright with whatever's in it right now, but I would rather do it the right way.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Default Oil

I bought a service plan with my quad when I bought it so I let the dealership change the oil when it needs done. As far as I know, they just use yamalube, but I dont know what weight. They call for different weight in the winter b/c they don't want the oil to turn to almost like gel when it gets cold. If it is doing fine as cold as it has been, I would say that you are good with what you got.

I know exactly where you are talking b/c I grew up north of greenville along 127. About a mile from Eldora Speedway if you are familiar with that.

Mudslinger2

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

are the berings in it my friend had one without the berings

Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for the late update, but we did figure it out and fix it. My dad took the wheels off and everything and through trial and error realize the tie rods were way too stiff. So he unhooked everything and used some sort of gunk cleaner on the tie rod ends and a few other places, and then lubed everything back up. And that fixed it completely! Probably just could have put new tie rods on, but that's just NOT in his nature to replace something that can be fixed haha! Thanks for all your replies everyone!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Happy to hear you got it fixed and i assume whoever if getting will be very happy.