Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT-80 belt drive/clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-80 belt drive/clutch questions

ok so i bought this 93 lt-80 for my boy....6 years old....first bike. anyways the bike wont move till its near half throttle and then it takes off like you flipped a light switch....but it also slips and shudders as it accellerates......i have the side cover off to see if something is messed up or if the previous owner changed something......mind you my buddy has the same quad for his daughter and it starts to move very slowly and smoothly with very little throttle input which is what i want for my son to start off........now i took apart the front of the belt drive assy that mounts on the crank shaft....there are these little rollers in there that spead out as rpm increase to grab the belt thus engaging the driveline....anyways, the ones that are in there appear to be drilled out...all thats left is about .040 wall thickness and the plastic sleeve around it....should these be solid when stock? it makes sense to me that they should be solid so they have some weight to them.....i need to know this before i go any further.......once i figure out that ill go to the clutch assy to investigate further...there is alot of gap inside between the drum and the little shoes with the pad material on them.....not sure if that is stock either or the springs too........arhhhg, i know someone here has some info that can help me.....please!!!!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

nothing huh? well ok whatever.........how bout this.....are there any tips or tricks or special tools needed to remove and replace the clutch assy??

Old 12-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Sorry I didn't come in to reply last night. :P
Rollers have holes and should weigh about 9.5 grams each. It sounds like yours are stock.
I'm 99.9% sure that your springs are stock.
Replace the rollers if they have any flat spots. Clean all that hard yucky grease out of the front clutch as it limits the roller travel once caked.
Make sure the rear clutch operates smoothly and the bearings are OK (I see alot of bad bearings on the rear clutch).

Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

i ordered an entire new stock clutch assy.....and new stock rollers...should have the stuff tomorrow or wed.....gotta get it fixed by thursday night.......so my question above....is changing the clutch assy straight forward? do i need any special tools? and tips i should know? and the rollers get greased when assembled right?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Place a Q-tip of grease on each roller. This will help keep the rollers in place durring installation.
You must make sure the roller plate does not come off the rollers durring installation. If it does, take it back apart and make sure the rollers didn't fall out (sometimes you can just look).
Slide the clutch down the crankshaft with sidepressure to keep the plate intact then align the keyway with the key. Use a light Make double sure the keyway is aligned then install the bushing,belt,big washer, then outer face.
The washer under the nut is a spring washer. Make sure the cup is dow put the nut on and tighten with a impact wrench.
Should do it.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys, how'd you get the side cover off? i've pulled all the bolts, oil pump, and starter bolts but it is still not breaking loose up by the starter (front), the rear of the cover is broken loose. I'm scared to force it because of breaking something. Could the bottom part of the oil pump(part inside cover) be preventing removal? Thanks

Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Did you remove the bolt at the 3 O'clock position on the small cover?
The cover gets stuck on the dowl pins. Sometimes a long screwdriver/punch/etc from the other side of the machine and hit the lil tabs that's there to beat on. <EG>

Old 12-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

BINGO!, got it, yes I had all the bolts out but like you said, a long punch and a hammer from the opposing side done the trick. now I have to find out why the drive shaft from the rear clutch to the drive sprocket is locked up tight, I'm guessing I've broke a tooth of something on a gear. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I've got gears if you need them.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lt, I can't seem to find what the problem is? one of the flat bearings that is on the counter shaft had come apart, i assume that one of the needle bearings from it jammed between to gears. I have cleaned and inspected the gears and tried to turn them by hand with them just in the gear box cover but they are still locked up? the idler gear has a litlle pitting but not enough to jam it I don't think. any ideas? I know the idler gears are suppose to turn on the counter shaft but what about the drive shaft idler gears? are they suppose to spin on the drive shaft?

Quick Reply: LT-80 belt drive/clutch questions