Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Chinese 110 charging system issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese 110 charging system issue

I have a chinese 110cc atv. The battery keeps dying. I have checked the battery when it is cranked with a meter. The charging system is working but i think it is working to well. At idle the meter should read about 13.5. Well its climbing all the way to about 17. Could this be frying my battery. I have changed the voltage regulator and the cdi box. But still the same readings. What could be causing this problem.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

17 volts is way too high. That will wreck the battery by overcharging it. If you rev the engine does the voltage go even higher?

Make sure you have a good ground connection to the regulator. If the ground wire is open the regulator voltage control circuitry will be confused output will be too high. Else you have a bad regulator.

I always fear 4 pin regulator problems. I've taken a few apart, and regulators from different sources are completely not the same inside. The whole topology is different (and not compatible with each other), and the pinout is different to boot. I have even taken apart a regulator which when traced out cannot possibly work on a 110cc quad no matter how it is wired.

What brand quad do you have? Where did you get the replacement regulator?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I sell these fourwheelers. The name brand of this one is Ice Bear. I usually dont sell this brand but had to due to my other suppliers at christmas ran out. I have a bunch of regulator in stock. I have gotten pretty good at working on them but I have never ran across this problem.

At idle it starts of reading about 12.7 and just gradually climbs up and up and up the longer you leave it idling. Now if I turn the the headlights on or pull the parking brake to where the tail light is on then everything looks normal on the meter. But from my experience the tail light draws alot of voltage.

The main 4 wheelers that I sell is Tao Tao. Thats the parts I Stock

Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do the regulators you stock work on a Tao Tao 110cc quad? By that I mean have you actually tried one of your replacement parts on a Tao Tao and done the exact same test? I'm wondering if you got a bad batch. Like I said before, I have bought 4 pin regulators (off eBay) just so I could take them apart. I found regulators that just plain could not possibly work at all in any quad that I have ever seen.

If the same symptom appears then the regualtors are bad. If it works on the Tao Tao and not the Ice Bear (what a name - it sounds more russian then chinese) then I suspect the regulator is incompatible. Do you have a wiring diagram of the Ice Bear?

When you turn on the headlights you are loading down the stator to the point that it can barely keep up except at high engine speeds. The regulator cannot overcharge the battery since the stator can't muster enough power to let the regulator do so. With just the Brake light on you're somewhere inbetween. The stator is still loaded down at idle, and won't overcharge the battery, but at high engine speed the stator should have enough output power to run the brake light and let the regulator overcharge again.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

have the same problem with a tao doing the same thing as yours eating battery's have tried 5 diffrent regulators and stator no luck still charges at 17 volts