Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Viper 70 Starter Clutch locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 70 Starter Clutch locked

My son has outgrown his Eton Viper 70, and we have left it sit for almost a year, but finally getting around to listing it for sale. I charged the battery and cranked it over, but heard a metal on metal sound coming from the starter clutch. After a few cranks, it wouldn't turn over anymore.

I pulled the cover and removed the drive belt and tried again. It would turn a time or 2, but always "stick" at the same place. I charged the battery up again, and got it to spin pretty good, but this time, it seems like it's locked. The starter clutch is "out", (would be compressing the belt) and will not go back.

I can't figure out how to get the bolt off, there is nothing to stop the drive pulley from spinning while I try to loosen the bolt. Any ideas?

Also, is this a common problem here, and is it an easy fix? My son rode this for years, and never had a problem. Looking back, from time to time, he would bump the starter while it was turning and it would make a "clanking" sound, but it always started and ran for him. Did the "day of reckoning" just now appear?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Tried to upload a picture, but not seeing a way to do it......... sorry.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I consider it a easy fix. Some may not. ::
OK, the belt is not supposed to come off unless you remove the front clutch nut/outer face.
Now that you've pryed the belt off , the rollers in the front clutch have fell out of place and not allowing the variator to go back in place (no problem).
You will need a impact gun to get the front clutch nut off. You can get fairly cheap elec models or preferably a buddy has one.
Once that is off,You can tell if the starter is engaged or not. If not you should be able to spin the motor over by hand (use the outer face on the splines to turn).
If the starter is not engaged, and itwon't spin freely over, I suspect rust in the cylinder. A hone/bore and piston isn't the end of the world..hopefully.
Where you at? What you asking for it?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm in northeastern PA and we were asking $450 on Facebook Yard Sale. Had quite a few responses, and it looked like we were going to have a quick sale........ (sigh) Would consider offers for it As-Is....

Anyway.... I've read that some people have been able to use a oil filter wrench (strap kind) to hold the flywheel and then were able to turn the nut off. Will this work? If not, will an impact wrench take it off, even without holding the flywheel?

Right now, (nothing disassembled, other than the belt I took off ), I can turn the flywheel with one hand quite easily. The starter just makes a humming, buzzing sound if I try to use it (I'm not trying it, now that I know there is something major wrong).

Let me know if I forgot something or if additional information is needed. I appreciate the assistance!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

My wife's cousin is a mechanic (not really close by), but I flew some of the symptoms by him when I first tried to start it:

The starter would spin the motor to a certain spot and stop dead. It sounded like it was trying to turn it more but couldn't.

I installed the kick start and tried to kick it, but couldn't move it. I pulled the cover off and turned it by hand. It went hard past the one spot, then turned fairly freely until it reached the same spot again.

He suggested I pull the plug and try to turn it over. Maybe something was plugging the cylinder (fuel, water, etc) So, I yanked the plug and hit the starter, and she rolled over quite a few times. Spit a dozen or so batches of fuel out the hole. Put the plug back in, hit the starter, same problem.

Charged the battery over night, and tried her again. She spun quick and fast, but started making that metal on metal sound. That's when I worked on getting the belt off. (Ooops)

Anyway, re-charged the battery, tried her again, and then it was I ended up where I am now. I thought I could just take the nut off, but couldn't figure out how to hold the flywheel (without damaging it) while I loosened the nut. Have no idea what I would find, or what I was looking for AFTER I got the nut off......

So, that should catch you up to where I currently am now. Thanks again for the reply and information.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally back to working on this locked up clutch:

Using an oil filter wrench (strap type), I was able to remove the nut holding the clutch in place. As I slid it off the spindle, 5 "bushings" fell out. Not sure where they go or what they do?

I have everything off of the spindle, except for the sprocket that engages the starter.

Could use a parts diagram and some instruction as to what to look for (troubleshooting) and how to re-assemble the unit (what to look for, what to watch out for, etc.)

I appreciate the help and knowledge. Thanks.