Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

E-ton rascal ixl40cc

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-ton rascal ixl40cc

Came across a e-ton rascal 40 for the grandson (5).
It's been sitting for a few yrs since the rider out grew it. They also were having issues with it ...stalling and no re-start when warm.

Not much to these little motors so I figured it would be a fairly simple fixer upper for him to start on.

Got it home and cleaned it up ,carb was leaking at the intake..premix and dirt with a birds nest of grass pack in around the case .
Happens to be venting there for the flywheel...

Thinking heat and use..out grew it ! ,I re-ringed it , new coil, plug and a good fuel system cleaning ... found a burnt wire, fixed...and a all around cleaning.
...pipe too !

Started right up and it was a sweet smell of 2 stroke .. love that stuff
Ran fine but with a high idle ..near engagement. If you idle it down it would stumble and stall, if it is warm ..it wont re-fire.
If cool it will fire ...maybe ?

Actually rode it for 45 min and it ran good as long as you kept it moving . Slow down and a rattle shows up in the clutch side , stop to idle and it stumbles and stalls with a high idle . At this point a gostly thought of where the real issue may be lurking ... but trying not to go there ..

Thought maybe clutch hanging up ...dragging the motor to a stall
Looked at that today and found my rattle.. and I think the rest of the story ...
Crank bearing and seal
I can wiggle the crank to mimic the rattle I herd. This would explain the high idle and when warm issues ...sucking air !

SO.... I need a fix, do I re-build ..parts availability ??
Or buy a new motor ?
I have looked and found e-ton 40cc motors for sale at a decent price from one of those scooter places. Are all e-ton 40cc motors interchangeable ? Say's it comes with case,crank,cyl,piston and plug ..they look the same , just have to add my flywheel assy and trans , carb,pipe,recoil,and plastic cover and mounting plate.
If this will work it;s cheaper then rebuilding the one I have

Ive had this for 2 wks and the grandson has not spotted it yet ! Wheww it's getting harder and harder to keep it from him till its running right .

...help ?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Eton builds polaris small quads. My local Polaris dealer is an Eton dealer. parts are readily available. i dont' know if the scooter engines with interchange with the quad engines. glad you found the problem though. ask you polaris dealer is they can get Eton parts. the polaris dealer i use don't advertise about being the Eton dealer.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

..Update..
New motor on the way... after some hunting.
Found a place that deals in performance scooters that was kind enough to chat with me on sun.
Talked for a good hr about the e-ton 40. Yes all e-ton 40's are the same , only the mounting plate differs.
Never thought of the polaris dealers ... the scooter shop in town made me think to go to the scooter side of things .

should be here fri, might give me time to get caught up on the restro story. hope to have the little guy on it sun

Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Need2ride
..Update..
New motor on the way... after some hunting.
Found a place that deals in performance scooters that was kind enough to chat with me on sun.
Talked for a good hr about the e-ton 40. Yes all e-ton 40's are the same , only the mounting plate differs.
Never thought of the polaris dealers ... the scooter shop in town made me think to go to the scooter side of things .

should be here fri, might give me time to get caught up on the restro story. hope to have the little guy on it sun
Been dealing with mine for months now, new everything still not running. Where did you get the motor? How much? Roger

Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by rogerrupp1
Been dealing with mine for months now, new everything still not running. Where did you get the motor? How much? Roger
Motor was bought from here ..Scootr Scooters - Quality Scooters at Everyday Low Prices

Im not out of the woods yet ....
After the new motor and all back together im having some of the same issues . At least it's not sucking air now, but still has the eratic stall and no re-start. Plug has been dry and wet during the hic-cups so a whole new fuel system is going in... thinking carb is wore out .It does show signs of wear on the throttle barrel and some corrosion starting below it on the carb body.
On the new motor there is a vacuum port under the intake port to help the draw of fuel to the cylinder. Then you can replace the intake and carb to a better set up .
This place (above) has some mods for the eton to make them more efficient and reliable .

2 things left thats not new ... trigger module and flywheel

Also bought from here ..E-Ton Parts Catalog - Alpha Sports

Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I'm going to be sick.. Wish I found that place a while ago. Mine would not run so here is what I bought. New carb, carb flange, piston and rings, coil, trigger, flywheel, outer case half, all seals and gaskets. Still no spark. The flywheel used to hit the coil so it looked like the crank was bent so I replaced it and the flywheel still rubs the coil slioghtly and no spark. I'm going to play with it a little more tonight and if I cant get it going to order a new motor tomorrow. Sick of working on this thing.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by rogerrupp1
I think I'm going to be sick.. Wish I found that place a while ago. Mine would not run so here is what I bought. New carb, carb flange, piston and rings, coil, trigger, flywheel, outer case half, all seals and gaskets. Still no spark. The flywheel used to hit the coil so it looked like the crank was bent so I replaced it and the flywheel still rubs the coil slioghtly and no spark. I'm going to play with it a little more tonight and if I cant get it going to order a new motor tomorrow. Sick of working on this thing.
Have you looked at the on/off switch ? Mine was dirty and was not making contact , this one was abused a little in its lifetime.

My latest attempt to fix turned into a fail ..
During this time the recoil decided it was time to give up now too !
So... back to square one ..with a new recoil on the way.. i hope
1st vendor above mention not so hot on making a deal and standing up to it.. via ph calls . Not going to drag the details in the mudd against him ... just beware .