Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton 90 runs great after fresh charge battery

Old 11-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton 90 runs great after fresh charge battery

Hello All,

I have what I think is 08 eton 90. It runs great after a freshy charged battery. After some time it starts to bog down and stall.

Looking on some advice here.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

While at an idle check if the charging system is working ok. The battery should be receiving around 13.5-14 volts or so if it is charging good. Charging system can be good also,but if a battery has a dead cell the battery can't hold the charge. Check first on charging voltage,if good,have the battery load tested. If battery fails replace it. If charging system only shows battery voltage(12 volts or less) while running,usually because of a faulty regulator.New Voltage Rectifier Regulator Electrical E Ton 50 70 90 Eton Viper | eBay

Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feedback.

The battery is brand new. When I put a meter on it, it voltage climbs higher starting from 12V when I rev it. It climbed up to 12.7 before I stopped rev'ing it.

If I dont rev it or after stop revving it, it will drop down to 12v.

The horn wont work either until the voltage gets up to around 12.7.

You think its the regulator? The lights were REALLY dim unless your on the throttle, they get bright, but die as soon as you get off the throttle.

thanks for the feedback!

-Jason

Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Voltage too low.Battery will be drained down when running. In some instances it can be the charge coil in the stator causing problems,but not often.I'd replace the regulator and hopefully solve the problem.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I will give it a go and see what happens!

-PD

Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Old Polaris tech knows what he is writing about so I don't like to contradict, but many of these cheap Chinese machines have fairly feeble outputs from the alternator, some don't even have a regulator, just a rectifier. The lack of power getting to lights and horn seem more like a bad earth or resistance in the main live to the switches.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

I am new to quads abut I don't feel the Eton's fall in the "cheap Chinese machine" category do they?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by flyin-lowe
I am new to quads abut I don't feel the Eton's fall in the "cheap Chinese machine" category do they?
Nope,your Eton is made in Taiwan. A couple steps above the run of the mill Chinese atvs. In 2013 things changed when they went out of business and they're Chinese now. For any future hard parts this place bought up the remaining inventory of pre 2013 parts.ETON America

Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 AM
Trailblazer

When I was shopping for my daughters I stopped and looked at a Polaris but the guy had it built for racing. He said it was too much for my daughter who had never ridden before. He told me to stay away from the Chinese stuff but said Eton had a good reputation. He thought they were built as well as the "name brands" and said some of his friends race them. I've had my 2 for two years and only one minor problem so far. Knock on wood.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've been having this same issue for the past 5 years on my 2006 Eton 90 and still can't solve it. Did you end up finding a solution? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eton 90 runs great after fresh charge battery